NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can we try getting a law on the books that will legalize shooting stupid mother-f'ers in the head?
My fiance and myself went to Sandy Hook yesterday, just before dark, to walk on the beach and see what was going on. There was a guy fishing right in front of the parking lot. As we were walking back to the car, I seen this guy pulling in his line. Just as his rig got in the wash, he left his line in the water. On the end of his line was a small striper, maybe 14 inches at best. He set his rod back in the sand spike, and walked back up to his buddy. He just stood there. I told my fiance that i would put money on it that he was waiting for us to leave, so that he could keep the striper. So we walked up near the car, and I watched him. Sure enough, as soon as we were out of sight, he went down to his line, and unhooked the striper. He carried it up to his gear, and put it away. I looked for a park ranger, but couldn't find one, so I stopped at the park office, and told them exactly where this guy was, and his description. I don't know if they did anything, because I had to leave the park since it was getting dark, and I didn't have my permit (I did buy it last night though).
I really hope that they followed through, and fined this scumbag.
If the "fisherman" (haha...FISHERMAN?!?!?!) that I seen keep that striper is reading this, I hope they fined you out your a**.
If you got away with it, I hope you choke as you are eating that little striper.
In closing, I hope the next time you are fishing, may a HUGE freak wave swallow you, and take you out to sea, where a shark can tear you apart, and pass you through his digestive system, and you come out exactly as what you now are... a piece of sh**.

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
266 Posts
spinfreak I don't blame you for being pissed off. I've seen many times backside of Robert Moses lots of people keeping 3 or more stripers and never get caught. Even though I try calling a phone# for enforcement all I get is an answering machine.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The fact that he kept an undersized striper (or if he was breaking any law for that matter) isn't the thing that really pissed me off. It's that he intentionally waited until he thought that we left before he went down to the water and unhooked the striper. If you want to break a law, fine...go ahead. If I have a chance, I will report you, and if you get caught, then so much the better. But don't slap me in the face and think that you're going to get away with it.
Some guys that I have gone fishing with (my brother and father included) have kept undersized fish, or have kept more than their bag limit. I've told them that they are a-holes, and shouldn't do it.....but hey, if that's what floats your boat, then go ahead and do it. (Just don't sneak behind someone's back to do it.) But when the CO's some around and catch you...I'll be laughing in your face.

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
62 Posts
Several years ago, I was flyfishing Little Neck Bay and saw an elderly asian guy land a nice striper prior to the open season. It was also undersize. Anyway I tried to communicate to him that the season was closed, etc. He played the "I don't understand" game. I ended up taking the fish and releasing it myself. This is behavior that we all see and is annoying (to put it mildly). But it happens even with certain "good sportsmen" I suppose. Isn't it amazing that you never see anyone dump trash at the parking lot but it's there every time you get there? Some of our fellow sportsmen are slobs too. I can tell you that private landowners get so turned off to these people that it ruins it for all of us. All we can really do is to clean up after them and report violators.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I used to be one of those who kept short bass. I was only 13 at the time. The biggest bass I caught back then was 20". I thought it was the biggest fish ever. I have not kept any more shorts or even more than I can eat. I take pictures now and kept 1 in every 25 legal fish I catch.

People who are sneaky like what you have mentioned does make me very upset. I have seen all kind of so called fisherman regardless of race. I have seen asians, hispanics, caucasian, and other people keep shorts or off season fish. They all can read, write or at least speak English.

When I see someone who pretends to not understand English. I speak to them or show hand gestures indicating a big no no.

In Brooklyn, I saw many hispanics took short bass, fluke, and any fish that is illegal. I approached them and told them to throw it back. They spoke spanish to me and thought I dont understand them. I told them I may not look hispanic but hablo espanol. I got into a few arguments over fish. Most of the time I win. A few time I got into fights. The problem is not with any race or group. It is with culture.

I saw bass poles who are asian, russian, and other ethnic too.

Lets not go mad. Lets try to save our fishes and keep educating the other bass poles.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with everybody it does annoy me to no end to see people taking shorts and I've gotten into my share of arguments and fights as well...I'd like to share a story..

I was fishing in Wolfe's Pond in Staten Island NY and as I ran into a Russian couple who had 2 5 gallon Joint Compound buckets filled with panfish and Largemouth Bass..Wolfe's is a no kill lake and I informed them of that fact...apparently they couldn't speak english and the fish were dead already ,I really wasn't in the mood to get into a fight with this guy so I walked away....in my wallet I have the number for our local game warden whom I called luckily he was in the area and stopped by. I watched him and his partner take every fish out and lay it out on the shore and give them a summons for every fish.
It doesn't happen often but these people do get caught so my advice is to stay informed and get to know your local CO. Don't confront these people directly let the CO's do it afterall it's their job and they're better equipped to deal with it.

Tight Lines,
StriperSniper

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I agree, see a lot of shorts kept and no enforcement. On a few occasions I have seen shorts kept by elderly people who obviously could use a good fish meal, and quite frankly I think that's OK. If you are over 75 you should be able to keep a fish for dinner. Maybe change that to over 80, 75 doesn't seem quite so old as I get closer to it :) .

Striper77

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
It's not only the fisherman who play games with shorts and bag limits. I was on a known Montauk Charter Boat and the captain kept extra fish to sell to market. When I told him I thought we had our limit, he mentioned to me that he would radio another Charterboat which He would pass the fish on in order to hide his quota. It has to do with pinhookin'& commercial tags, and greed. His boat is worth over 1/4 million dollars and here he his trying to pick up extra chump change all at the expense of conservation minded fisherman and the stock itself. I'll never book him again and thats the bottom line. Join CCA

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.