NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
personal experience please.

hi members
well i think i've got my search down to three walk arounds.the aquasport 250 explorer w/225 yamaha.the angler 25 w/
225 yami the striper 26 w/225 yami .does anybody have a personal experience with any of these or is there something i've
missed in a similar price range.personnally i lean to the aquasport because i fish the western sound and i really like the fact that the cabin is a little smaller and foward leaving more lenght on the gunnels for fishing , either bottom fishing or drifting for fluke.thanks
vinny f

· Registered
247 Posts
Does the aquasport model you are looking at have a cut out transom or a closed transom with bracket/platform? With heavy engines on the back of a 25 aquasport years back, used to sit uncomfortably low in the transom. The reason we sold and not repowered.

· Registered
988 Posts
Vin,

I own an Angler 204 center console, so far I love the boat. The price was within my budget and it serves as a great bay boat with some light offshore capabilities (weather permitting). Of course there are some things I would have changed in the design; I need a mid-ship cleat. On the most part they are trivial and superficial. Personally, I do not like the front structure of their walkarounds, but all in all the construction of the boats does seem to be tough.

God Speed,

Somoan

· Registered
59 Posts
Personal

I have a 2001 225 Explorer with a 225 Yahmaha also used in the Sound. The boat and engine work well together and easy to fish from. The boat has all the amenities one needs. What else are you concerned about?

· Registered
3,127 Posts
Vin-

I have a 2000 2300 striper with the euro transom(same as the new 2600.Itis a terrific boat for the money.All the amenities you need for inshore or offshore.Most importantly the dealer(Great Oak) really stands behind the product.When they say they will do something for you its done with no BS-Can't ask for more at that price

· Registered
261 Posts
Choice of boats

I have the same boat ,but in the center console model (250 osprey) I have a 250 Yammie, I love the boat, tons of room to fish from, fast. Operating the trim tabs on this hull is very important
when it gets rough, they react very differently than other hulls I have owned. I recommend the boat highly.
Makomagic

· Registered
10 Posts
I own a 2001 26' Striper W/A bracket, love the boat, and the bracket style gives you so much deck space. The gunwales are nice and high, and with the trim tabs, the boat performs very well. Only complaint for the boat is the two fish boxes in the floor are useless. There is always residual H2O in there that makes storage ineffective. Besides that, great boat for the $$. My .02

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
makomagic
that's good to hear,do you keep your boat at a dock and if so how do you secure items instead of transporting everything back and forth from the house
hows the workmanship on the boat ,somebody else talked of a leaking ****pit,do you think that was a 1 time shot or something to be concerned about.

thanks vinny

· Registered
14 Posts
Striper 2600

I have a Striper 2600, 1999 model year
and am totally satisfied with both the boat and the dealer,Great Oak Marina.
The boat is the perfect marriage between a family crusing boat and a fishing boat. The floor fishing boxes do leave something to be desired but that would be the only negative comment I could make.
The boat takes to the water well and I use it offshore as well as in the bay. Mine is equipped with a Johnson 225, but I have no experience with other motors. What ever you decide, GOOD LUCK.

Dividends

· Registered
131 Posts
Just bought a 2601 W/A striper myself. I really have no complaints and am extremely satisfied so far. For the guys who have the stripers, do you have any advice or things i should know since you guys have had them longer. IM very new at this. I have a Volvo Penta Duo prop engine. INboard/Outboard

· Registered
25 Posts
My friend had the same boat '00 25 (he worked for auquasport), the only thing he said, was that it rode hard due to the over extended running surface (****pit) in the rear. He just sold it after 1 year and bought a used Robalo(?!?). I have a '97 215 and my buddy a '01 225, Mine leaks, and both of us had numerous electrical problems. Nicely appointed boats, but if you look behind the gunnels and in the bilge, notice that none of the electrical connections are waterproofed and none of the wire tinned (many are cheap snap connectors that rot almost instantly). Only where visible have I noticed waterproof connectors. I have also had some hull/liner seperation, I have heard on other boards that this is not unusual. I love the design and ride of these boats, but the scrimping on the little things are a REAL nuisance. I guess that's why whalers and grady's cost so much. If you have the patience good luck. I have to say though, I have seen a few (not many) improvements on my buddy's newer models. Just want yopu to look out for these things regardless of which manufacture you choose, I know now that I will.

RALPH

· Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THANKS RALPH
that's the kind of info i'm looking for because at 55 this next boat will probably be my forever boat so i'd like it to be good.maybe i will have to start looking for older grady's,hopefully with newer power.PLEASE KEEP THE INFO COMING

vinny f

· Registered
14 Posts
Vinny,
I know the boat will do over 30 buit I have never pushed it to the top. I have had it out in 4ft seas and had no problem. All the boats you mentioned are good choices as long as you understand what the limits of eace one are. Good luck.

Dividends

· Registered
94 Posts
Personal Exprience

Hey Guy

I have the 2002 Aquasport Osprey with the HPDI 200 Yamaha and it runs like a dream. I have been out several times already this season and the boat has everything and more for a fisherman. I don't think you will go wrong with Aquasport.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.