NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 22 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Matt what are you going be using this reel for??? Pluggin, chunkin, livelining, light tackle??? There is a reel to fit all fishing applications just name what or all you wil be using it for and the conditions in which you are fishing. I am not a fan of penn unless you want a reel that is clunky with no bells and whistles that is fairly reliable. The slammers are a start but I can name 10 more reels that will top them for the same ammount of money.

· Registered
5 Posts
OK sorry for the delayed response fellas but here goes! Geez where should I start!

OK mattyblazer I have held the penn slammer and it seems to be a solid reel. It is much smoother than the penn SS models with features the penns should have been updated with. On the other hand its new and its relibilty is unknown as of yet. I would go with a Shimano Baitrunner 4500 before a slammer. The Baitrunner has just been updated as well and will cost the same as the older models. I have owned and abused mine for the past 5 years with NO problems. I never rinse them and treat my reels like crap and not one thing has gone wrong. Not to mention all the fish I have caught on it. I owned a Penn 650 and the main gear stripped while reeling in a 12lb blue.

Next up doughboy! Ok most of my reels are more expensive and I buy my reels to fit my fishing applications.

Light Tackle plugging Shimano Sedona 4000

Pluggin Daiwa Emblem-Z 5000A and Daiwa Emblem-X 5000T

Chunkin/Livelining Shimano Thunnus 16000

eels/secondary chunkin Shimano Baitrunner 6500

Those reels are for my main applications for stripers. I have many other reels but those are the main for stripers.

"You suggest he go for a fancier reel, with more "bells and whistles" that is not as reliable. So then there is more to break, it is easier to break and it is harder to fix"

Personally I expect my reels to give me five years of faithful service without being repaired even once. After that most of the models are updated and I buy new reels. Just because the model has better features doesn't mean they are more prone to failure. Not for nothing but my reels are less likely to fail due to superior technology. I don't care how easy a reel is it fix I never want to fix them I want features and technology that will help maximize my fishing experience.

Matt17 check out the Shimano Baitrunner. I am guessing your gonna be using 20lb or 17lb mono for stripers and blues so go with the 4500 if you want something a little more beefy go with the 6500 model. When chunking they have the secondary drag which lets the fish run without feeling it. So it gives you more time to set the hook and a better hookset. Also, works great for live lining and you can use it for pluggin. I do not suggest going over 20lb mono for any pluggin setup as it will hurt your distance when casting.

Good Luck!

· Registered
5 Posts
Matt they updated the baitrunner for 2002 and now comes with all those good features like IAR, its rotor is now balanced. It is also $20 bucks cheaper and more reliable than any penn I have used as far as spinning reels. Customer service is excellent as well or so I hear I have never had to use it! You can check it out in cabelas.com

Enclosed is a pic of the updated baitrunner. The baitrunner also has more line capacity. I can't see how you could go wrong with one. I feel it is a MUCH better reel than penns offerings.

1 - 3 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.