NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody have any good fish caught on the torque 300, any larger tunas 125-200lb this past season. I held it today and almost bought it but I am a lil concern with the high gear ratio. Does the reel have the power to gain line when under heavy loads with such a high gearing? It feels way over built like a tank compared to other reels in its class.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
The reel is solid.
I used Torgue 200 for yellowtail and giant seabass/hapuka on the New Zealand trip last April. The drag was very good and it has pretty good cranking power even it is fast 6:1 gear ratio.
But I could get just over 20 lbs drag from the reel which is far from their advertisement. Also the weight of the reel is much heavier than their adivertisement too.
Check the max drag and reel weight yourself.
If you don't mind using over 30 oz reels, there are many alternatives.

·
Registered
187 Posts
No first hand knowledge here, but playing with them at the shop. He said that most guys really liked them, but he did have some come in for premature service. Mostly drag issues of getting weak after couple tuna and 2 of them had grinding loss of smoothness issues....maybe bearings. But he still sells alot of them.

·
Registered
175 Posts
torque 300

fished on the west coast long range tuna trip.reel was strong 4 tuna over 100 pounds no problem.alot of guys using them now on the coast.chracking power was great.casted jigs with casting was better then i thought.i hope this helped you.

·
Registered
649 Posts
i have the 300 and like kilsong stated the reel is much heavier than it originally stated. (they have since changed what they say the weight is) on a trip that i landed 5 out of 8 tuna on my 113hn baja when i switched to the penn 300 we had the biggest fish of the trip go thru and i hooked up with a fish that was at least 85lbs. the reel made it seem like a cakewalk. lost the fish to a tangle with the pool fish that was caught by my buddy and was at least 90lbs. the only reason i swapped back was i had a little two much 65lb braid and my leader was a little long. if i did not level wind the reel decently i would bind up. casting was fine as i started with a 10oz cod jig and then switched to a 6oz sardine.

my only drawback was the price. when you hear that they make 150.00 dollars markup on each reel it makes you think.

the new lever drag is 600.00 and i can't see the 200 dollar difference in adding the lever!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.