NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since I started surf fishing (about 6 years ago) I've bought and used nothing but Penn spinning reels. I currentlty own two 6500's and one 8500. I think they're great reels but I have had trouble with the anti-reverse on two of them, as in the anti-reverse stopped working. When I took them in for service the guy shook his head and said it was the "dogs" and that Penn reels are notorious for that problem.

Has anyone else had this problem and is true that it is typical for Penns? I'm considering buying a new surf set up and am wondering if I should be thinking about a different reel. Since I don't want to go for the Van Staal, I was thinking about the Daiwa Black and Gold series or the possible a Stella. Any suggestions?

Tight Lines and Happy Holidays
AtomAnt

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
I have a 5500 hundred and have had the same anti reverse problem more than once. For the surf, if you don't want to go for the Van Staal, try either the Penn 704z or 706z. They are both very reliable sturdy reels.

Good Luck and Tight Lines

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
I've heard the same thing.

I've had the AR fail but only when the underside of the bail housing has gotten very dirty. Then it's just an issue of taking it apart and cleaning it up. Sometimes I also have to squeeze down a little on those "jaws" (not sure what they're called) that grab the rotating start cam under the bail. Not too tight so it effects the turning however.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
This is a common problem on the SS series. As stated earlier, go with the 706z or 704z if you don't want to invest in a Van Staal. I prefer the 706 as it does not have a bail, which is just one more thing to break.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
343 Posts
The Daiwa BG-30 and the Penn 704Z are much alike.
The biggest difference is availability of spare parts.
The Penn 706Z is the best value in todays marketplace.

The SS series sure are pretty, but anti-reverse is only ONE of their problems.
Sand is another. There are more.

YOUR money, YOUR choice.

Flounder

Tight lines!

Flounder

·
Premium Member
3,244 Posts
I dont want to open up a can of worms here but, has anyone seen the liveliner from penn. I picked one up to leave on the boat, the model I picked up is "4600 ss", and it has a light weight metal case. Could this be starting an old trend for penn? The unlimited anti reverse feels great and the reel doesnt wobble at all. I think a lot of penns problems lie in the graphite construction of the last models.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies. Regarding the 704 and 706, how do they macth up size-wise with the 6500 and 8500 SS and which one should I use with a 10 ft St. Croix?

Tight Lines

AtomAnt

·
Registered
32,144 Posts
Have had the same problem with the 5500 I use. There's a little "widget" that controls the AR. Took it to Smithtown B&T - they fixed it by replacing it with something else. That was two seasons ago - hasn't happened since.

Using it on a 8.6" St. Croix - good match up.

·
Registered
11,588 Posts
Definately go bailless for the SS and Z series reels.

As long as you keep the underside of the bail housing clean the AR shouldn't be too much of a problem on the SS series.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
826 Posts
The 706 has about the same capacity as the 8500, and it weighs a good 3 oz less.

The 704 has about the same capacity as the 7500 and again, is lighter.

For any application you'd want the 6500 for, the 704 will fit and be more reliable. The 6500 also has a tendency to have the bail flip over, as the bail wire will not fully clear the external bail trip on the reel stem unless the line roller is perfectly vertical.

A newer reel that is comparable to the 6500 in capacity is the Mitchell Nautil 7500 Pro.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Stop wasting your time with those "dogs" (Penn) and exert some effort procurring some Diawa Silver series reels. Mainly the Diawa 7000. Best mass produced, inexpensive, discount department store, spinning reels ever made.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.