NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have heard several rumours about a new Penn spinner that's being made. 1) the Z is going to be made off shore due to it costing to much to make here
. I don't beleive it. 2)A totally new surf type reel is coming out, Phila. made. I have the 08 Penn catalog not seeing it in here but who knows. 3) A new internal spool Z-International to compete with the Vans and Zee Big buck reels. This might be the only thing that would make me happy! I think IMO Penn don't care anymore about small nitche Surf pluggers and there wants. I've heard their market studies showed that the Z didn't sell well enough and cost to much to make. Take your choice of the rumours! I'll believe it when I see it. I'm going to the main plant in a week or two and while there I'll drill a bit for info.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There is no Penn spinning reel that I know of that is still made in the USA as of 2008.

The entire Penn spinning line comes out of China. The reels are made in the same exact factory(s) that mfg other POS spinning reels from Shakespeare, South Bend, etc with the added price of the Penn's based on the name alone.

Todd

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
I will never buy a penn spinning reel again they are a POS. My buddy bought a brand new 4500 and it broke the very first time he used it. I purchased 4 new reels. After just 2 season 3 out of 4 are broke.

I'm to poor to buy cheap!!!!!

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
Avet

New Penn spinners are garbage...

Made for 1/50th of the price and sell for the same US price tag... a few think they will get rich I guess but they are not getting any of my money..

The 704, 706 didn't sell well because everyone has one and they last forever...

In other words "make them to break so they buy a new one every other year"

This strategy, much like pulling the VM Beetle out of America, will backfire...

Look at the Avet... may cost but you buy one and you're not throwing it in the landfill after 2 years..:mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.