NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

You could try Taget, Walmart and the like BUT think upon this.

You might pay a bit more at your local shop. That tackle shop will be there if and when you need the reels serviced. They have most all your tackle supplies and the latest info on where, when, how and with what baits. They are open at the crack of dawn to sell bait etc.

I think it is important to support your local tackle shops!

No, I don't own a tackle shop. If I did I would never get to fish. It is not a 40 hour a week job.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
J&H in Oakdale usually beats all of the chain stores and catalogs on Penn prices. Try waiting until the fishing show in Freeport or Lindenhurst because they usually have even better prices.

At the Colliseum show they were selling the 965 for $180, it is usually $190. It's $200 anywhere else.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I agree with Capt. Neil. The $5 or $10 that you will save by going to a large store will cost you in the long run. I have been doing business with the same tackle shop for over 20 years and I can't begin to tell you how much it has benefited me over time. They are located where I used to live in Florida and I still use them today. All I do is call them and they send me what I need, payment gets taken care of later. Support your local tackle shop and you will find that they will support you.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
300 Posts
I have to echo what Capt Neil and Gamakatsu have said. Most tackle shops try to stay price competitive with the chain stores, but the info you get from your local shop is priceless. Many times they'll thrown in something extra (terminal tackle, line, etc.) as well.

MC

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
Without a doubt......I couldn't agree more with Gama and Capt Neil. You really must give this some serious thought. I have been dealing with a tackle shop in East Northport exclusively and while in SOME cases I pay a little more the service I get is well worth it. I mean the guy radios me on my boat from the shop with info!!
He tells me when the worms or bunker he's got are shot. He really takes care of me and he does it because I take care of him. It's a great world!!

These are the guys that love the sport and want to see you do well.

My local guy got a call from one of the publications looking for a fishing report and ya know what he tells them?....."Call Modells...ask them!!"CLICK. Can you blame him?

Southwest winds always.....Seaox

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I agree with evreyone on this subject, its important to support you local tackle dealer. They are the ones who will give you the service and stock the parts you need. The markup on Penn reels is very thin, only around 10% so your not going to save a lot by buying from a megastore.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I have to agree, there isnt much (if any, sometimes cheaper) of a price difference between local tackel shops and chains. I sometimes shop chains because I know they will honor quality warranties with $$ back or a quick exchange. I agree to support local shops, and I do. I would wait for a show for a deal, Penns mark up isnt that much, thats why they are usually the same price in every store but I will tell you the discounts are there, 975 can be found for under $200

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.