NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone remember how much was the retail price for the Penn704z/706z's back when they were being manufactured? Thanks, I have a few that I want to rebuild...but i just want to know before i start spending TOO much $$$ on these reels, buying them from individuals.

Thanks

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would defeninately just keep them and spend the money no matter what! the parts are not that expensive but the reels are completely kick ass i am sure you already know! If you have the chance to fix them do it! no matter the cost.. if you dont want to i will buy them and fix them! haha

Good luck

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Parts are reasonable and easy to get locally or online. I have two 704 and one 706 and have maintained them myself for years and they are still like new. I recommend you convert the 704 to bail less as well because I found that the bail had the tendency to drop when you least expected causing you to lose expensive plugs. I paid $110 for the 706z back in 2004 brand new. I don't recall the price on the 704 as I bought them in 2001 and 2002 brand new. In all those years I spent maybe $100 on parts for repairs for all three. Keep them clean, well lubed and they will last for years. A true "made in america" reel.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I bought one of the last 704s on the Island,they charged me $110.The parts for the Penns are cheap,and they should be.Reason,there made in China and the metals there using are garbage.I have been breaking replacement parts on all my Penns.There not as good as they use to be.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Penn is going to fade out just like it has over the past few years it was made in the states.. just another bunch of CEOS lookin to sell off and make tons of money from the world... They are going to fall off the market just like shakespear... When is the last time someone bought a shakespeare reel and used it for years!?! NEVER!

They are turning into another money hungry company who is sold out and merged and is not going to be a complete waste and fall off the market and shelves shortly.. There are so many better reels made now.. i would not even buy an international for offshore anymore other than the ones i purchases years ago.. other than that!

NO PENN FOR ME!

AVet, Aleutecnos, Shimano, and thats about it for me!

·
Registered
929 Posts
The first 704 I bought was $19.95. The last 706Z was $90 back in 2000. They never sold for more than that until Penn stopped making them.

Rebuild them and you'll have a couple reels that should last quite a while.

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
I think the real question is not what they cost back when, BUT what are they costing now!! These things on Ebay, if they are in any kind of decent shape, are going for well above what they sold for new

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
I agree with surfstix... the reels are only going to go up as the Chinese made ones break evry season...

Bought my 704 25 years ago, think it was about 89 bucks..

Bought the 706 the year they relaunched it, can't remember...

I'm looking at a used 706 for $125 and I'll prob pay it..

BIG Mistake, the 704, 706 WAS a must have for every surf fisherman..

I'll never buy a Chinese one.. (same US retail price :confused::mad:)

they will fade into the sunset... don't waste your money on the new ones you'll only be sorry..

Look at Avet...

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
All Parts for the 704/706 are still made in the USA none of the tooling was moved to china. They make limited runs of the main gears every now and then when needed, the last batch was the end of Dec. 07
I got mine ordered just waiting for the ordered to be picked.

Where do you guys think V.S. makes their reels? and Shimano and Daiwa and the majority of spinning reels except for the Zeebass and the Accurate. Heck even the great Abu is assembled with parts made in another country. Outsourceing is what makes it affordable to the average guy.

DAve Sr.

3-General Motors and 1-Dodge No foreign cars for me till I can afford one of those there chrysler I mean Benz';)

·
Registered
200 Posts
nprtrodnreel wrote:
Outsourceing is what makes it affordable to the average guy.]

Historically, Penn reels were always affordable to the average guy. Corporate greed is what makes reels get outsourced.

This post edited by gadabout 11:22 PM 01/22/2008

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.