NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone let me know how these reels are for trolling, jigging etc...i ordered a penn special senator 112H reel but when i got it the handle was damaged so i have to return it to cabelas. So now i am thinking i want a reel with a level wind so i dont have to mess with the line while reeling in a fish...Any input would be appreciated. I will be slow trolling tube and worms and swimming plugs maybe some eels...

·
Registered
826 Posts
Great reel for the price...

For the price you can not beat this reel.. If you like level winds i woud highly reccomend it! It is a good reel... The ony thing i would suggest is maybe not a level wind if you are looking to do trolling with wire... if just mono then you are fine.. they are good reels and good luck.. but i can say i do prefer to troll with the international 975 open!! they are kick A$$ with mono!

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great reel for the price...

i will probably be using 40# braid in the back bays...so i guess it should be fine just don't want to have to deal with manually guiding the line onto the reel while fighting a fish...thanks for the quick reply and info!!

·
Registered
826 Posts
i would go even smaller.. in the back bays you can get away wtih very light tackle...

I would look into something smaller.. let me see what i can find for yah!

Maybe go with a small newell or something!! they are nice and tiny.

220 225 or 229.. they are all perfect for what you need but not levelwind.. but something of tht size and caliber

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
clementine wrote:
Maybe you should look at the shimano tekota, like the 500. Very nice reel. You could also look at an abu.
I own a 6500 abu and remember trying to pull in high teen stripers in the ambrose channel. It strained and was also difficult but caught them few fish close to 20lbs. I remembered discovering the plastic gears later when cleaning it. Not saying it ain't a good reel but plastic sprockets bother me, I would check out a quality shimano if I were looking for a smooth solid reel.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
shimano tekota 500

i have heard many good things about this reel from numerous people i will probably go with that one! thanks for all your help guys!

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
I think the TEKOTA 500 is a wonderful reel. Good for almost any fishing that doesn't call for a very small reel.

TW - almost every levelwind reel I know of uses high-impact plastic gearing to drive the worm gear. This is done not to save money, rather to ensure that if your finger gets caught in the levelwind mecahnism, one of the gears will shear and NOT break your finger.

best, Lep

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Sportfishingusa wrote:
If you are using in the back bays that real is going be way to big!

Too big???? Not in my back yard. I have some of the best fishing about 5 minutes from my dock in Jamaica Bay. We troll 330's and senators religiously. Double header 13 lb blues on an umbrella...40 lb bass on bunker plugs. 330 is perfect! Dont let anyone tell ya otherwise;)

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
to big?

I agree with you 100% BLUEFISH9!! I have been ocean fishing for blues many many times and i actually caught my biggest blue in about 4ft of water 17lbs.!!! I also caught a 42" striper last nov. in about 3-4ft of water! I am probably going to go with a shimano tekota 500...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.