NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been fishing on and off throughout most of my life and have recently resurrected my interest due to a move that puts me near Long Beach. Due to being "transportation challenged" I have been mostly fishing off Magnolia Pier but have decided to give surf fishing a try. I was in the process of doing my research on what type of tackle to use and actually, I'm not even sure if I'll be using plugs, lures, bait or spoons. I was hoping to see if it was possible to find a reasonably priced rod and reel that would be compatible with all of the above mentioned methods even if maybe not the best for each one of them individually, sort of like a "best of all worlds" set up. I finally settled on something like an Ugly Stick 10 foot or so Medium/Heavy rod with a Penn 704Z. Just when I thought I was ready to buy it, my son (who doesn't fish and got wind of my new found interest) relying on information from friends bought me a beautiful 8500SS. Now I'm caught between a rock and a hard place here and in the seemingly unusual position of having to buy a rod to match the reel. It seems to me that this reel would set me up somewhat heavier than I was planning to go, and might limit my flexibility as far as what type of fishing that I would be able to use it for. Do I now have to step up to a longer and maybe even a Heavy action rod that might limit my flexibility? I would really appreciate it if anyone with knowledge of this reel (and surf fishing) and its uses would give me some input (are you listening Bill Wetzel)?

Thanks!!

Richard

·
Registered
300 Posts
The 8500 is a bit heavy.
If you cannot exchange it or loss the receipt.
Try putting up for for sale on this website or
Ebay.
You can try J & H tackle in Oakdale and talk to the old timer there about trading it. He buys and
trades but no guarantee on what kind of bargain
you'll get. You might get lucky or you might not.
Or you cant just get a 12ft surfstick put the
8500ss on it and use this set-up only for tossing
Bait and stick it in a sand spike.
I think I know how you feel.
This hobby can get expensive .
I made a blunder last year of buying a rod for
$139 after using it found out it was lacking on what I was looking for in a rod.
If you can find someone to let you try there surf poles you can get a better idea of want you want.
There are different types of poles graphite,fiberglas , sizes etc...Reels etc...
The 704z is a good reel.
This is my set-up- I fish only with Lures!
704z on a 10ft st.croix
6500ss on a 9.6ft breakaway
5500ss on a 8.6 st.croix
4500ss on a 8ft Team Diawa
Late in the season I'll fish with bait maybe
10% of the time with a 12ft meatstick.
Just my 2 cents.

IBEW local 1049

This message was edited by IBEW on 3-18-02 @ 7:35 PM

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
The 8500 is a nice reel but rather large for our conditions.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

·
Registered
487 Posts
The 8500ss is 26 oz. or 1 pound & 10 oz. It is heavy for casting lures. It is probably good for fishing on a boat or surfcasting with bait. Since you son gave it as a gift, keep it if you can use it for bait fishing. You could still put the reel to a 10' rod.

Keep the reel unless you got enough tackle. Sell it to me. :) I can use an 8500ss reel.

To Email me

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all your help. I found all of this info extremely beneficial. I guess I can use the reel on the "like new" 12' Ugly stick that I won on e-bay. I really didn't want it because it was Heavy action but it came with a 7' one piece Quantum pistol grip (that I wasn't in the market for either) but I got BOTH of them for only $28.00. I mean after all who could pass up a deal like that, right? I suppose that that's one of the ways that most guys end up with so much stuff huh? Oh well, I guess I'm on my way there too and it?s back to the drawing board for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
The 12ft uglystick and the 8500ss will due just
fine for tossing bait in the surf!
I know you said you wanted to cast with lures so
try maybe a 704z or 6500ss.
Since you said you'll be fishing in the long beach
area (south shore) dont get a pole less than 9ft.
You want to have a set-up where the pole and reel
feel balanced. For example if you took that 8500 and put it on a 8.6ft st. croix it wouldnt feel
right and would affect your presentation while
working the lures.
Also you might want to look at TEAM DIAWA surf rods. There not as expensive as some other brands
out there.
There made out of graphite and lite.
Look into a 10ft thru 12ft Team Diawa surf rod.
I know there a few Tackle shops down in that area
in Long beach. I think theres one on or off of
austin blvd.
Check out the surf poles and talk to someone there. I'm sure they 'll be able to steer you in the right direction. Also dont buy on first impulse. Go to different tackle shops and see what they have and compare prices and see what
they have to say.
Post another message of what type of pole you liked and reel and ask for advise.
Then I'm sure you can narrow your search.
After you figure want you want compare prices
on many fishing gear websites you might find it
cheaper.
And remember you're all ready set-up for tossing
bait in the surf!
Some guys prefer using bait and some dont.
Bait or lures they all have there Pro's and Con's
I fish both lures and bait. I just like fishing
with lures more.
I wish you the best of Luck!

IBEW local 1049

·
Registered
198 Posts
8500 ?

I agree with everyone else. I fished all summer with Bill Wetzel last year and here is what I found. Bill's favorite rod is a 12 ft Lamaglas with a Van Stall 300. That is comparable with the ratings of your 12' ugly stick and penn 8500. Many of the plugs and spoons you will be casting in surf will weigh up to 4 oz! Granted, the Van Stall is lighter and the Lamaglas is a better rod. Another factor is casting distance. The bigger diameter spool on the reel and further you can cast. As far as your ebay purchase - you scored big. Use this setup for the surf and shop for a 7500 to use with a 9 or 10 ft rod to use elsewhere.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks onthefly. It's always nice when someone responds with what you wanted to hear all along.

You must be either a friend of Bills' (Bill Wetzel... NOT 12 step Bill!) or extremely well off to have fished with him all summer. From what I've heard if he's not "working" he likes to fish alone. I tried to cast a few Birthday hints at my family and friends that a nice gift would BE a Bill Wetzel lesson and except for the Penn 8500SS, the closet thing I got was a cable knit sweater. Oh well, guess I'll have to activate yet another Mason Jar to allocate nightly pocket change into. What ever you do Bill (if you're listening), PLEASE DON'T RETIRE EARLY! :)

Richard

><{{{{'>

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.