NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few years ago when i started surf fishing a guy in merrick actually sold peanut bunker, we used them for fluke on a jetty and would come back usually limited out, then we targeted bass and not so much luck without the peanuts.

I would like to know how the **** to get hold of em dead or alive without a cast net (i dont know how or where to use it and they are pricey on a 15 yr olds pay)

Any help is very well appriciated :confused:

·
Registered
340 Posts
when i was a younger then that we would snag them w/ unweighted trebles. it worked fine because i would fish the same spot but i dont think its very practical if you plan on storing them or taking it to another spot as you could only pick up one at a time n they are bloody.

·
Registered
658 Posts
The net that is needed is between 20$ and 30$ if u throw it into a school on the first throw it will pay for its self.The only thing i could say is i know its tempting but no need to keep them all if u get hundreds of them;)

·
Banned
7,173 Posts
get yourself a sein net and a buddy to round them up. works great on spearing as well. also save up for a cast net. i could teach u how to throw one within a very short amount of time. or u could watch the calusa video its great. keep in mind that the cheaper cast nets do not have much weight to them and will not catch anything unless it is used in very shallow water. peanut bunker are very under rated for bass. even a measly 3" peanut can attract a true cow when nothing else works at times. if u do go with a cheap cast net u can always add split shot to it but it is a pain in the butt. especially if u do not add it evenly.

·
Registered
658 Posts
Where do you plan to catch these peanut bunker? If from the boat yes you "Might" need more weight to catch them but if from the land the cheap 20 to 30 $ net will do more than fine. Also im pretty sure that the heavier nets are mainly for adult bunker.I might be mistaken though.The next Throw net I plan on getting is a more expensive net it will have smaller dimater holes and i will be targeting smaller fish like spearing to catch with it.Hope this helps :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.