NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if the guys fishing the lower section of the Hudson River are concerned about eating any of the fish when the dredging of the PCB sediment gets started? Currently the access roads and de-watering building are nearing completion and I think the dredging is scheduled to start this summer.

The dredging is going to take place far inland between Troy & Fort Edward and it would be a shame if it messes up the fantastic run of strippers. HB

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I don't eat fish from the Hudson itself but I eat some fish from the surrounding JBay waters, and when I see that muck on the bottom, I know for sure it isn't clean. It certainly doesn't smell clean either. I try to limit the amount I eat, and the time of year. I avoid late summertime Bluefish for certain and Stripers from July-August, thinking they are more likely to be local fish. I also haven't eaten a Striped Bass about 35" in a very very long time.

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
ELIASV wrote:
I don't eat fish from the Hudson itself but I eat some fish from the surrounding JBay waters, and when I see that muck on the bottom, I know for sure it isn't clean. It certainly doesn't smell clean either. I try to limit the amount I eat, and the time of year. I avoid late summertime Bluefish for certain and Stripers from July-August, thinking they are more likely to be local fish. I also haven't eaten a Striped Bass about 35" in a very very long time.
Why would you eat out of the JB and not the Hudson? JB has to one of the nastiest bays around here. I love the fishing in there but i wouldn't eat anything out of there...I wouldn't eat anything out of the Hudson either.
I guess it might not be good for a while, but wouldn't it be good in the long run? After it all settles again?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Poluted Waters...

You'll know when you ate too many fish from JB or the Hudson,
when you shut off the lights one night.....and you're glowing in the dark. Or if you wake up one day and can't put on your shoes.....cause you grew a sixth toe.

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
ELIASV wrote:

Why would you avoid Bluefish there not migrating there they are passing back and forth chasing the bait from one body of water to the other now stripers are a different story

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I remember reading in articles, every year there is a large body of Blues that basically hang out in a body of water with lots of food all the way up to the fall. Is a season long enough to keep them from becoming contaminated? They are probably clean. But no matter how you slice it, they don't taste so great.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Stick with lures or flies and if you're like me you won't have to worry about eating to much striped bass. I didn't know they were starting to dredge. As I remember, a few years ago, the debate was which was worse, dredging and stirring it up or leaving it to let it slowly leech out or be covered forever. The later sounded like a better idea to me. Good luck to all those folks up there.
RedEd

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They haven't started to dredge yet but are putting the infrastructure in now. I think they started back a year ago by building a road and now the dewatering building is going up.

In the long run of a few hundred years I can only assume that it will be better but I think in the second half of my lietime dredging will have a big effect on fish all the way down to the ocean. For many years it was illegal to fish from troy upstream to Fort Edward and was opened up around 10 years ago. This section is completely fresh water and the fishing is spectacular. Large bass & nice size walleye on a catch and release only. I am going to go on this section a few more times before they get started a post some pics of the catch. One time I did catch a carp on a small lure that had all kinds of funny growths on him and was multi colored, and yes it was a common carp and not a mirror. HB

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
i dont know why one would make stupid comment such as , not eating fish caught in jamaica bay hudson river, but will eat the same fish caught in ambrose channel ect the ocean side , isnt these the same fish just move to diffrent locations???? i personaly dosent eats blues stripers flukes flounders weak fish . i just rarely eats togs what i like is seabass and porgys, so if these fish feed from the jamaica bay area i gess i will be dead soon. lol

just eat the darn fishes if it makes you feel great, and stop the fussing, we all have to die some day. on the real tho the mud in jamaica bay smell like real ****.

·
Registered
524 Posts
As long as you'r not eating the schooly stripers that stay in the river all year, there should'nt be a problem.
I would not have any problem eating the larger migrating stripers.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
nates;
And where do the larger Stripers come from? They were once those schoolie Bass, that have moved on. But males come back to the river in late fall and winter over, and await the return of the Large Females to come spawn. If the schoolies have PCB's or other toxins in them, and they winter over each year, I think those Toxins will be in them even if caught in the salt.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
PCB's bioaccumulate up through the food chain from plants growing in the sediment to the microorganisms feeding on those plants to the fish feeding on the organisms and ultimately to the animals and people that feed on the fish.

Dredging will stir up all the PCB's that are currently buried in the mud. Initially PCB levels will rise in the Hudson, but dredging is the only way to remove the contaminents.

Personally, I trim off all the dark meat that runs along the lateral line of the fish regardless of where it's been caught. The highest concentration of PCB's if any, tend to be stored in this area.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
nates;
If you do start to glow, we'll use you to attract Herring at night. You'll have to remain motionless though.

Only good thing about the PCB's, is that is what stopped the netting of the Bass in the Hudson for sale. Fish had too high of levels of PCB's in them. At least that's MY view.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.