NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just received our first order of Patriot-Design jigs from Japan. You will recognize the shape as it resembles that of Sevenseas jigs.
The jigs are designed by Matsutani who designed the Sevenseas jigs.
Quality is first rate and he is adding more colors every day.

We have the "Blast Edge" jigs in 2 sizes 235g(8.2oz) and 175g(6.2oz). We have six colors in stock.
Grand Silver
Cosmo Silver
Midnight Blue
Flash Glow
Flying Fish
Natural Bait

Attachments

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Glad to hear that Matsutani-san started his own business.
When we fished together on the Carribean Sea in Gulf of Mexico last June, he was preparing for a new company.
Sevenseas Hooker jigs are one of my favorite tuna jigs and I see the similarities between Hooker jigs and Patriot-Design's new jigs.

John, how about Patriot-Design jigging and popping rods ?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Kilsong. I spoke with Matsutani-san last week. He has many new products in the design stage and is releasing more every week. He has a Graphite-Kevlar reinforced blank that is in production now. I did not ask him what sizes he will be producing them in. He will inform me when they are ready and we will get a few at the shop and see how they are.

Pink Sardine and Glow jigs in all sizes should be done this month. We will have them at the shop well before Tuna season begins. His production is slow right now but getting better.

Thanks John

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Thanks for the information, John.
I hope his new jigging/popping rods are lighter than Sevenseas.
Sevenseas rods are fundamentally good, but I felt they a little bit heavier compared with new trend rods.

·
Registered
20 Posts
JohnTFT wrote:
We just received our first order of Patriot-Design jigs from Japan. You will recognize the shape as it resembles that of Sevenseas jigs.
The jigs are designed by Matsutani who designed the Sevenseas jigs.
Quality is first rate and he is adding more colors every day.

We have the "Blast Edge" jigs in 2 sizes 235g(8.2oz) and 175g(6.2oz). We have six colors in stock.
Grand Silver
Cosmo Silver
Midnight Blue
Flash Glow
Flying Fish
Natural Bait

John,
Jig testing in Indian ocean From Matsutani's web site 104 kg. dogtooth!

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
JohnTFT wrote:

Pink Sardine and Glow jigs in all sizes should be done this month.

Hi John,

Any details on the pink sardines? Have you seen prototypes?

Also, do you know what the pricing will look like?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fathom - It looks like the testing went well! Awesome pictures - would have liked to see where the jig was in the fishes mouth. Just curious as to if the jigs presentation or swimming action elicits a frontal or rear strike on the jig. Do you know what type of hooks they had the jigs rigged with? I know that the Owner ST66 Treble is a favorite and effective hook on this type of jig. I had a conversation with Dennis Braid and he prefers an assist hook that covers 1/2 of the jigs length so the strike from the fish can come from either direction and still got a positive hook up. Either way the pictures are impressive - Thank you for posting them.

David - I have not seen the prototypes. The Blast Edge is very similar to the Super Hologram. The bottom of the jig looks to have a sharper knife edge shape than the Super Hologram. The keel is a little smaller. The jig will probably flutter more on the retrieve. Patriot-Design has some other styles out as well. These were available so I got them. As Matsutani-san ramps up production many more styles will be available. The pricing on the jigs will be in line with the Blast Edge pricing. Not cheap. The Super Holograms were not inexpensive either. The feature to look at other than the obvious effectiveness of the jigs is their longevity. Kilsong and others have caught many fish off of one jig with no failures and the finish holding up reasonably well. With the exception of Tady and Sumo jigs not to many other jigs can make that claim. I have a standing order in with Patriot for Pink Sardine and Glow. As soon as they will be ready to ship I will get them in the shop.

Good speaking to you again David.

Thanks both of you for your interest in the products.

John

This post edited by JohnTFT 08:03 AM 01/04/2008

·
Registered
20 Posts
JohnTFT wrote:
Fathom - It looks like the testing went well! Awesome pictures - would have liked to see where the jig was in the fishes mouth. Just curious as to if the jigs presentation or swimming action elicits a frontal or rear strike on the jig. Do you know what type of hooks they had the jigs rigged with? I know that the Owner ST66 Treble is a favorite and effective hook on this type of jig. I had a conversation with Dennis Braid and he prefers an assist hook that covers 1/2 of the jigs length so the strike from the fish can come from either direction and still got a positive hook up. Either way the pictures are impressive - Thank you for posting them.

David - I have not seen the prototypes. The Blast Edge is very similar to the Super Hologram. The bottom of the jig looks to have a sharper knife edge shape than the Super Hologram. The keel is a little smaller. The jig will probably flutter more on the retrieve. Patriot-Design has some other styles out as well. These were available so I got them. As Matsutani-san ramps up production many more styles will be available. The pricing on the jigs will be in line with the Blast Edge pricing. Not cheap. The Super Holograms were not inexpensive either. The feature to look at other than the obvious effectiveness of the jigs is their longevity. Kilsong and others have caught many fish off of one jig with no failures and the finish holding up reasonably well. With the exception of Tady and Sumo jigs not to many other jigs can make that claim. I have a standing order in with Patriot for Pink Sardine and Glow. As soon as they will be ready to ship I will get them in the shop.

Good speaking to you again David.

Thanks both of you for your interest in the products.

John

John,

This is link to Patriot web site. www.patriot-design.com

http://www.patriot-design.com/3collections/collections-j.htm

This post edited by fathom 10:38 AM 01/04/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
JohnTFT wrote:
Just curious as to if the jigs presentation or swimming action elicits a frontal or rear strike on the jig. Do you know what type of hooks they had the jigs rigged with? I know that the Owner ST66 Treble is a favorite and effective hook on this type of jig. I had a conversation with Dennis Braid and he prefers an assist hook that covers 1/2 of the jigs length so the strike from the fish can come from either direction and still got a positive hook up. Either way the pictures are impressive - Thank you for posting them.

Matsutani-san uses treble hooks on jigs unlike most Japanese jig fishermen and accordingly many fishermen who fish with Hooker jigs use treble hooks though they use assist hooks for other Japanese jigs. I don't think it matters whether you use treble hooks or assist hooks as both are working.
I notice that Matsutani-san used assist hooks when he fished Christmas Island in Indian Ocean last summer. He must be experimenting.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.