NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently fished at Montauk trolling Andrus Parachute lures. We killed the stripers using this method. I have never seen this method used at Fire Island Inlet. Does anyone know if this will work? Has anyone had any success using this method?

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
When the parachute craze started to become popular we tried them side-by-side against bunker spoons. They caught fish, but the spoons caught more & larger. The parachutes were also a ton of work (defeated the whole idea of relaxing on the water).

I think it has more to do with "matching the hatch". Parachutes seem to work well near rocky bottom where bass are waiting to ambush. Around the sandyshore of Fire Island, the bass are moving rather than waiting to ambush.

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
Hi,

Not exactly your answer but worth mentioning. while at Montauk, I decided to try jigging over the area guys were trolling paras and anchored up chunking. Caught several nice bass before I lost my AVA 87 diamond jigs to junk on the bottom.

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
803 Posts
I agree with Doctor Fish. Spent a week in Nantucket over Colombus Day weekend giant tuna fishing. since half the week was blown out I did two charters with some excellent local Captains and killed the bass. Twenty feet of water over rocky bottom rips every boat fishes exactly the same. Slow troll, jigging large bucktails or parachutes upside down jigging a la Montauk (both tipped with red pork rind) 150' wire on dacron backing locked drag. We killed the fish 20 keepers (all released) 28 -38 inches. I have been Striper fishing for years out of Moriches and never had that Kind of success with wire/jigging or wire/parachuting, much better with spoons or homemade shad bars. P.S. the rocky shoreline of Nantucket, Block Isl. etc. is very similair to parts of Montauk.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have wire lined parachutes over the rocky structure around Breezy Point. With a fish finder on, you can almost call your shot (if you will) as to exactly when the fish will hit the parachute. With the right jigging action while you troll (takes a little practice, but pretty simple), bass can't resist them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.