NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Painting squid on bottom of the hull?

3K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  clementine 
#1 ·
Anyone paint squid on the hull of their boat? Does it really help raise fish? Anyone have any pics? Looking for a winter project.

Eric W

#7 ·
We paint them on the from stem to stern 150-200 pcs on our 35 Carolina Classic. When u figure what we have invested between the boat tackle the cost of running offshore and up keep its a drop in the bucket money and time wise.
A friend paints squid along with a whale eye the bottom of his boat and he is convinced that it works.
We had a bunch of sharks trying to eat our rudders 3 years ago while sharking (we have them painted on there also).
All the Japanese long liners have them painted on s they must work right?
The whole idea is to keep them there a few extra secounds when trolling to give your self a better chance at a multiple hook ups.

#8 ·
MakoMike wrote:
Deepline wrote:
I would wait until the tuna season, and haul the boat to do it, otherwise the growth will make your project futile.

Ypu must not be using very good bottom paint! :rolleyes:

There was no doubt in my mind that MakoMike would have a comment, he seems to have a comment for everything, a real know-it-all.

The lighter color paint will probably stain between April and July/August and would be brighter if freshly painted on at the start of the tuna season.

Please MM , tell me, I use Interlux Micron, is that bad paint ?? I don't believe it is.

#10 ·
Deepline wrote:
Also , MakoMike, I always see you busting chops on spelling and such, what is "Ypu" ????

You see me busting chops on spelling? You must be kidding, I probably have misspelled more words than onyone else on noreast! :rolleyes: I have no idea whether that interlux paint is good or not, but I suspect it is good paint. If you want to pay a couple of hundred bucks to haul your boat right before tuna season just to make the squid look freshly painted, go for it! But, in case you haevn't noticed
they do look somewhat less than "freshly painted" when they are alive and kicking!

#11 ·
When I dive and look up at my boat I just see a black silhouette against
the bright sky. Don't know if a fish can see it better. There are self adhesive squid and balyhoo that can be purchased. I've seen them on boats down south. Instead of paint or stickers, why not just use a dredge?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.