NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a '89 88hp evinrude. Second time out the engine overheated and stalled (locked-up). I thought it was seized and got towed in.
After I got the boat out of the water I noticed the water inlet holes on the lower unit were clogged with seaweed!
I tried to turn it over and it cranked!
It started and seemed to run fine. I am hoping I didn't damage anything. Anybody have any similar experiences?
I am going to replace the water pump and install a temperature gauge. Any suggestions/reccomendations on the water pump replacement?

Any input would be appreciated....right now I don't have too much confidence in the engine.

·
Registered
60 Posts
change the impella and the plastic housing. if it is melted .if it started it should
be ok make sure it is pissing water
out the top when your done.
ps when you drop the lower unit push
the shift rod into bracket to release
it looks like you should pull it but
push it in gvisko

·
Registered
384 Posts
do yourself a favor and change the water pump completely. Changing the impeller every two years is recommended preventative maintainence, but if you don't know what was done to the engine previously, change the whole darn thing. I would have an evinrude mechanic go through the engine just to be certain there aren't any lingering problems. If there was seaweed blocking the intake there's a good chance there may be salt build-up through the cooling system

·
Registered
634 Posts
pressure guage

forget the temp guage,by the time the temp goes up it is already too late(you are overheated) install a water Pressure guage,when you see the pressure is not there chances are you sucked up a bag or grass etc.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hve a friend give you a hand with the lower unit, rotate the fly wheel slowly until the shaft seats, work the shifter lever to align thehole for the screw. Take your time it's really not that big of a job, toughest part is keeping the screw/bolt on your tool to get it started in the hole. smooth sailing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.