NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Outter Banks in late Sept/Oct 08'

614 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  jrende 
#1 ·
Hi there offshore guys...
I'm looking to gather some info here on a trip to NC during the last weekend in Sept or the 1st week in Oct of this year. We are headed down for a wedding and would love to take a shot at whatever is running out there at that time (Tuna? Marlin?). I would be interested in speaking with any captains who have the valuable insight, even if its just directing me to a website. What runs? How far from Duck or Corolla, NC? Thats where we are staying.
Thanks in advance...
Jon

#2 ·
Oregon inlet will be your closest inlet, I think it's about a 2 hour drive depending on traffic and where you're staying. Carolla extends all the way up the beach to the Virgina state line, we stayed there a couple years ago and it was almost a half hour drive just to get to a paved road and then an hour plus drive to OI from there. Sorry I don't have any advice for you on charters but there are a lot of great boats who work out of there, I'm sure you'll get some suggestions here. It's about a 30 mile run to the stream and there should be great fishing at that time for Tuna, Marlin, Mahi, Wahoo etc. The best boats will book up early.

#3 ·
been there done it many timed ive stayed in both duck and corolla as far as specis im not sure ive alwyas gone in aug and had great luck with yellowfin marlin and amberjack as well as dolphin if your not sure about charters there is a bait store in duck called bobs they will hook you up with the charter and if you dont have 6 they will peice one together for you youll have a few options but stick with oregon inlet its the closest 2 marinas boats out of thicket lump marina and those out of Pirates cove ive done both diff basically is price they both fish the same areas pirate cove runs 1 mill + boats in the 50-60 foot range very nice very fast but much more on cost thicket lump you get your average charter boats in the 30-40 foot range not so glitzy ive had great luck out of both marinas the other option you will have is the trip they do intermediate trips about 4 hrs to the wrecks anywhere out to about 20 miles they usually do 3 a day cathing things like amberjacks cobia cuda etc.. or the full day offshore gulfstream leaveing real early and getting abck around 10 hrs later for things like tuna dolphin marlin the ride to these marinas takes about an hour from duck if leaving early about 30 min longer depending where you are in corolla and if its a mid day intermed. trip add some more travel time..hope this helps PM me if you have any questions ive done these trips about 10 times....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.