NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am taking delivery of a new boat in March. I plan to do a decent amount of offshore fishing with it. I will eventually venture to the Canyon but those trips will be infrequent.

Aside from the obvious items needed on any boat, how would you experienced offshore anglers outfit a new boat for this type of fishing? What electronics, hardware, ground tackle,fish handling equipment, coolers and other items would you recommend? Just for the boat, not the actual fishing gear and accessories.

Fishing would be for shark, tuna and other pelagics that could be subdued with 50lb class tackle.

It would be helpful if responses would be along the lines of "A MUST" "SHOULD HAVE" and "WOULD BE NICE" type of categorization.

Any and all replies are deeply appreciated.

TSLTW

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Mad Mahi,
I am no expert,these are a few things I would recomend...
One quality vhs radio and antenna(2 is better)
Offshore type life jackets for all
GPS and a backup GPS or Loran
Location charts
Quality depth finder
Water Temp Gauge
Epirb
If you have room a zodiac life raft
First aid supplies
At least 1- 178qt cooler for fish
Another for food with ice
Emergency flares
Fresh Water and food
Extra ropes,battery,lights,compass,knifes
Outriggers if you plan on trolling tuna
Foul weather gear
Thats all I can think of right now,some of these guys may add on to the things I forgot...

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you venture to the canyons and plan on some trolling you might need some extra fuel and a good transfer pump for your sake i hope its diesel ,gasoline is scarey 100 miles out.Also a good bible may help on those nights when 15'ers make it intresting.

·
Registered
60 Posts
If you venture to the canyons and plan on some trolling you might need some extra fuel and a good transfer pump for your sake i hope its diesel ,gasoline is scarey 100 miles out.Also a good bible may help on those nights when 15'ers make it intresting.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
If you'll be fishing for sharks and other big fish I would carry some gaffs, I carry three, A 6" fly gaff (with 2 heads and ropes) A 4' straight gaff 6' and a 3" 4ft gaff. I would also carry at least 2 tail ropes, a good set of knives with a hack or meat saw, a good sharpening stone, file and sharpening steel. A VERY GOOD first aid kit is a must, not a cheep-o-charley one from a boat store. Get some recomendations from your Doctor and make it up yourself and put it in a big tackle box(yes you'll need a big box) anything can happen out there and there is no help around! More to come as I think about it!

·
Registered
6,217 Posts
Oh yes...and towboat insurance. I got a lot of help and advice from this site when I asked about it. After a little research, it appears to me that Seatow is the way to go, unlimited for a little over $100. a year.

If you're a member of CCA you get $10. off. CCA membership is $25. a year and $18. of that is tax deductable, so you end up $3. to the good on your membership if you use Seatow. Of course thats not the only reason to join CCA, but it's a good incentive.

I'll be out on the ocean for the first time myself this year and tow insurance seems like a must. It came in VERY handy on Lake Superior.

shebeen

·
Registered
384 Posts
One of the retail/catalog tackle suppliers (I can't remember if it was Stalker, Predator, or some other) had a check list for the offshore fisherman in the back of its catalog. If I find the right one, I'll let you know, but you might want to check with the two named above in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Paulie, NANSEA, shebeen, knot enuff,, Hipshot and Mahi Mahi, thank you all for your responses and input!

I had most of the items you mentioned on my own list but you opened my eyes to some stuff that I would have overlooked. I will look at that list on the STALKER website to see if I can add to the list.

Paulie, I am tempted to ask what you would consider "quality electronics", but I'm not sure that this is the correct forum for that!

Again, my gratitude to this and any future help!

Good luck and safe sailing.

Mad MAhi

TSLTW

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Mad Mahi,
any radio that cost at least 200.00 would be capable and trusting.As far as antennas,I would spend a minimum of 80.00 and remember,longer is better.So the higher up you can get it,the better.(thats what she said)
paulie

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
One thing that nobody else mentioned is a ****pit harpoon. If you're not fishing for IGFA records it is the weapon of choice for landing a big fish. Gaffs work fine on fish up to 100 ppounds or so, but for anything bigger the harpoon is much better. Especially for makos, since you don't want to bring them into the boat anyway.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Makomike,
I disagree with the harpoon theory,my first mako was harpooned and when I turned around to get a tail rope he was going wild and freed himself.The harpoon pulled out while a flygaff could only sink in deeper.Just my opinion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.