NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been having a problem with my boat and i was hoping someone out there might be able to send me in the right direction. i have a mercury 200hp outboard and i have been losing power at mid to full throttle. the boat runs for quite a while before it gives me any problems, however i have been keeping the throttle at 50%. at full throttle, the problem comes on much faster. the primer bulb is completely sucked in at times right before it conks out. the primer bulb is new and the water seperator filter is also new. the fuel tank vent is clear also. i would appreciate any ideas or suggestions that you may have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also have a Mercury 200hp - bought it 2 seasons ago and have about 75 hours. When I am in low throttle, it tends to stall. I've had it checked it out at the place I bought it from and the mechanics where I keep my boat and noone has been of help. What I do is give it full throttle when I feel it beginning to stall and that seems to help a lot.

·
Registered
185 Posts
flat bulb

If your primer bulb is getting sucked flat you definitley have a fuel restriction. Like stated above try a 6 gallon tank .. that will narrow it down significantly. If she runs on the 6 gallon tank start at the primer bulb and work your way back to the tank. Check the anti siphon valve, your racor filter, vents, gas line/lines, main filter and screens and anything else you can think of that would restrict fuel flow.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i did some research on iboats.com and headed out today to work on the boat. took the fittings off the fuel tank to
find that there was no screen or anti-siphon device on the tube (therefore, nothing to gunk up and block fuel flow). i checked all hoses and fittings for blockage and found nothing. checked the tank vent and found no blockage either.

went to the marine supply store and talked to a mechanic. he said for a 200hp i should have 3/8 hose and fittings for my fuel system when i have 5/16. replaced the hose. problem persisted.

dumped the fuel filter several times and found lots of **** each time, even after a few minutes of running. it seems my fuel tank is filled with crap. i'm told it's approx. $150 to get the tank properly cleaned and checked if i remove and replace it myself. otherwise i can hope it burns off. i'm told i can add octane booster to the fuel and clean the filter often.

is it worth removing and cleaning the tank? any other ideas are appreciated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Remove your anti-siphon valve from your
gas tank, more than likely this is the culprit. All internal tanks comme with them because the manufacturer has no idea whether they will be installed with
an inboard or outboard. If your engine is higher than your fuel tank you do not need one otherwise they are required.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I don't know how much fuel you have in the tank but one option to get all that crap out is to just drain the tank ... fuel, gunk and all. I've done this with a little electric pump. If you have access to it you just remove the fuel guage sending unit and put a 3/8" hose in there down to the bottom of the tank. Pump out all that gas and you will get all the crap with it. The crap will settle on the bottom of whatever you use to hold it (55 gallon drum) and then you can siphon off the gas off the top and burn it in your truck. Put fresh gas back in the boat and run her keeping an eye on the racor. It worked for me.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
what yr is the engine?

jimgleiss What yr. is the engine? I say this because Merc. had a problem with A power pack not sure exactly what but 3 of my friends had recalls and had the same problem? May bet is not the same issue but it sounds close to it? Did you call murc. and see if there is a recall or a know problem with a power mod.? i would suggest that first before changing lines or filters? Also if that is not the problem Try getting a inline flow scan they have hand helds that measure if there is a fuel lose ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.