NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy an 18' Grady Sportsman CC(1998). I'll be fshing mainly in LI Sound and occasionally Montauk Point. Does anyone have any opinions about the boat or actually own one? Can the boat handle crossing LI Sound and fishing around the Point?

·
Registered
128 Posts
I fish Montauk several times a week. 18 ft. is entry level in the rips. Be careful on tidal changes, just a 10kt. SW wind, with an outgoing tide be difficult with a 18 ft. boat off of Montauk, even if its a Grady.

·
Registered
23 Posts
mserg
I own a 1999 180 with a 150 yamaha on the stern.
Couldn't ask for a better boat. Don't get me wrong, I would like a 28' boat but that is alot of $$$. Last year we caught over 100 cod , two makos, and three bluefin tuna. Fished stellwagon , coxes ledge , mudhole and the butterfish hole. Have also fished at the dump and Jenny's horn. Go with caution and fair weather --the boat will handle it. This year I will add a t-top. Gas mileage is awesome at a cruise of 28-32 knots.
tops out at 40 knots depending on the load. outlaw

·
Registered
96 Posts
I fish a 17'Sea Ox in Long Island Sound and unless the wind is blowing 15- 20mph with a northern quadrant the boat handles well. I had this same boat in Montauk for years and had to pick my days to fish around the point. Any wind 15mph out of the north and I was fishing for flatties in the lake. This boat is also heavy for its size class 1450lbs. I like the boat for fly fishing and its fairly shallow draft. Good Luck

·
Registered
69 Posts
I own a 1998 Grady White Sportsman that I bought new from Spellman's Marine. I fished the boat often in Shinne**** Inlet and offshore, and Plum Gut to the Race and Gardener's Island during the past 3 seasons and in my opinion this boat may be the dryest, safest 18ft. center console on the market. I have a 150HP Johnson Ficht with top speed 43mph (GPS #) and I recommend 150HP fuel efficent engine to give you reserve power with extra load in rough seas, even though a 115HP can do the job in the bay. The big flared bow and the deep-vee variable deadrise helps cut through waves with the boat riding high over big swells and the confused water you encounter in a rip like Plum Gut or the Sluiceway. The high transom and splash well keeps water out of the boat in a following sea or if you are drifting stern-to. The heavy hull gives you a smooth ride for a boat this size. I recommend getting trim tabs and hydraulic steering, and I am very pleased with how this boat has performed and held-up even when abused (like hitting a dock piling -hard). I don't recommend going out in bad weather, but can tell you that this boat handled well and felt safe when I couldn't keep my footing to cast a spinning rod in rough seas over 6 ft. Hope this is helpful.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.