NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you could only use one rod for inshore fish only what would it be and what style would it be casting spinning jigging, remember the rod should be able to swing a fish over the rail hahahahaha

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
No one outfit can do it all, but if I had to pick just one, it would be a St. Croix PM610MF with either a Calcutta 400 or an Abu BG6500C.

Deep fluke, casting to breaking bass from the boat, bucktailing in current, jigging bass and blues just off the beach, clam bellies up on the flats or in the Inlets, even blackfishing (with a reel changeout to a Newell 220 or Tekota 500)- its the one I'd bring.

No swinging fish of more than say 4lbs though . . .

Lep

·
Registered
49 Posts
Only one

My brother's Harnell. Made by Phil Lieble in Brooklyn many years ago and I've been after it ever since. Balances beautifully with a 4 inch U-needa sidewinder. Best all round rod I've ever come across.

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
I haven't used it yet, but my new Capt Neil LI Series rod definately feels (not to mention looks!) like it will be my new favorite all around inshore rod. Way to go Neil! You are a true craftsman!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
JC30967 wrote:
I haven't used it yet, but my new Capt Neil LI Series rod definately feels (not to mention looks!) like it will be my new favorite all around inshore rod. Way to go Neil! You are a true craftsman!
awsome rod you will love it.i use mine for fluke,blacks,bass,ect.

my biggest fish so far was a 21 lbs bass.
great rod

·
Registered
6,333 Posts
rac-
You got that right
A great rod, designed and built by a great person. Like I said I haven't used mine yet, just picked it up last week, but a Newell 229 feels perfect on it. What do you have on yours?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
JC30967 wrote:
rac-
You got that right
A great rod, designed and built by a great person. Like I said I haven't used mine yet, just picked it up last week, but a Newell 229 feels perfect on it. What do you have on yours?

penn 975ld great combo

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
one all around saltwater combo for inshore private and or party boat? I would have to say I'd go with a heavy setup. Knowing you sound like you will be doing for the most part the party boats. How would I go about finding the best medium heavy action combo for all around inshore fishing?.. I would first browse around a few fishing tackle supply dealers. I want to put the rod in hand and get a feel for what it is I've researched online. I came up witha good affordable baitcasting rod for the small to medium salt water inshore conventional reels such as the abu 6500 or the 7000. The rod of choice is the 7' 1 piece BWCL2200 tiger lite ugly stix composite baitcasting rod.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
I agree with Lep, one stick won't do it but, Laz I have a Phil Liebel from 1968 that I used exclusively until the mid 80's for everything and just tuned up my sidewinders to put it back in service.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Only one

Rastamon,

Phil built some beautiful rods years ago. I can't say for sure when my brother got his but it was sometime in the 60s. 6 1/2 or 7 ft - brown finish - wooden grips with a sort of diamond pattern to the wood. Handle 8 or 10 ounces without any trouble. I got to try it sometime after he bought it, on a codfish trip, and thought it was great. My brother said there were two rods like it when he bought his but when I went to Phil's they had been sold.

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
Hey lep that st.croix is the best stick. I caught 12 lb tog, 31lb bass, 9lb fluke and its not overkill for inshore sea bass. Put on 220 newell and you are set. I have over 30 outfits but if i had to pick one that is the set up.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Lazarus, I think we have the pair. When my father took me to Phil's he had two sticks, one-piece, painted light brown, black wraps with red caps on the wraps and wood diamond cut grips. I took the lighter stick, 6'6". Had Phil strip the brown off a year later so mine is all black now. As I recall, custom with a carbie tip and stainless guides, cost $45.00. Pretty penny when you could get factory sticks for 10-20 bucks.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Only one

Rastamon,
I think you are right. Sounds just like my brother's rod. Black under the brown finish, interesting. Good luck and I hope you put your's to better use than my brother does with his.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.