NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It is sad that halibut happened to be as big or bigger fishery then cod during the 1800s off of Mass, NH, and Maine. Old literature reports halibut during that time, being caught in excellent numbers in site of Cape Ann and other big fishing ports! Hundreds of thousands of lbs of halibut were caught during this time period. One commercial rod and reel fishermen i know, who has fished off of Hyannis all his life said to me, that he can count the number of halibut he has caught on both hands, and i cannot imagine how many trips he has made out to Great South Channel and Georges. The Helen H caught a nice fish over the last 2 years, and another dragger buddy reports seeing a halibut on every trip he makes working Georges and Southeast Parts during the summer and early fall.
That is one fishery which i hope to see come back during my lifetime. Below is the picture of the Halibut caught on the Helen H out of Hyannis Mass.

EC NEWELL MAN*

Attachments

· Registered
4,226 Posts
EC back in the early eighties, i remember after the Viking stated the georges trips that at one point they we advertising a trip called Halibut Heaven but i believe this was cancelled because they couldn't get permission to fish from the Canadian govt. do you remember anything about this?

· Premium Member
11,904 Posts
Canadian Halibut

Friends of our family are commercial fisherman up in Nova Scotia. They still fish for Halibut in the Bay of Fundy off of Grand Manan Island. None were as big as they get in Alaska.

· Registered
3,049 Posts
There are still a few halibut out there, this one was one of two I know were caught on the Capt Bill last year
on northern Jeffries. Altogether I heard of at least a half a dozen caught
last year on N Jeffries. They are getting a few off Platts in the spring, so while they are pretty rare we are seening a few more every year. A good friend of mine used run a trawl line out of Perkins Cove back in the 70's. His best was 421 lbs dressed
and one year he got about 20 of them.
This was in sight of Boon Island, about 9 miles off shore. Those were the days!

Bob

Attachments

· Registered
2,371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sam843...is correct....at that time, with the world court giving the prime areas of Georges and other cod grounds to Canada, permission was needed for the starship to make that trip. I do not know where they actually wanted to fish, but it was a long distance from Montauk. If i hear more about this, i will post it.

It seems that their are more halibut around, but they still are a very rare catch for a party boat angler. PS, from a National Fishermen article, a boat conducting halibut surveys, stated that the best bait is octopus.

EC NEWELL MAN*

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.