NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone give me information on the Okuma T-50W Lever Drag Reel?
It has 3.1 to 1 gear ratio, weighs 49.9 0z., 4 ball bearings,
and holds 430 yards of 80 lb. Test line.
How does it compare to the Penn International 50?

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Okuma's

Okuma 50's were my first lever drag reels when I started offshore fishing.They held up pretty good for the fours years that I used them.The only problem I seen were that the screws were starting to twist after the second season and a bunch of big bluesharks.I replaced the screws.The other problem I had was they would take a salt water bath while trolling and the drag washers would collect a salt residue and build up,which would make the drags jerky not smooth.Shimano make a product called Drag Lube that I would put on the fiber drag washer and the drags became better than new.It would last for the season.They were good for the money,but if money is the issue,look at the Everols,30/50 size.

·
Registered
16 Posts
OKUMA REELS

Funny you should mention OKUMA 50's. I had a friend take apart a Titus Silver II speed for me yesterday and - what a reel. Sealed drag, one piece frame, stainless where you need stainless and brass where you need brass. OKUMA quality was questionable at one time, but not anymore. Okuma Titus Silver and Gold are every bit as good as a Penn International - if not better.

These reels were field tested by The Royal Polaris - outta San Diego, and a 300lb yellowfin really beats up a reel.

If you do decide that you're interested in an OKUMA let me know and I'll direct you to a site that will save you quite a bit on any reel in the OKUMA lineup that you choose.

·
Registered
493 Posts
A few years ago Okuma switched from a dry to wet drag. I had the same hydroplaning drag problem BA mentioned. Replacement of a $10 drag washer (good service by their parts dept.) fixed it. I've used the 50W single speed version nicely on local YFT to 90#.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I picked up 2 OKUMA T-50W's on e-bay over the winter. The typical price you see is $199. I got them for around $150. I didn't feel that I do enough offshore to justify $500 for a PENN! Go to e-bay and use OKUMA in the search. This guy has them for sale there all the time. I think he is out of NJ.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Cambells pro tackle=BIG $

Outlaw,
I just glanced at the site you just posted for reels.I know the prices of all shimano's and this place has them all for at least $100.00 more than what they sell for.Be careful buying from them,they seem really expensive.
paulie

·
Banned
67 Posts
b.attitude i have been dealing with campbells pro tackle for years and have always found their prices very good.i looked up a few prices of shimanos in the bass pro offshore catalogue and compared them to campbells and on the average campbells was 50 - 75 dollars cheaper.the models i compared were the tiagra 50 wide and the TLD20 two speed,.i just took a sample they were much less expensive.remember the aussie dollar is about HALF the american dollar they have a calculator that you can use to figure the exchange rate.

take care.

·
Registered
23 Posts
campbellsprotackle

Campbells will also pay the freight if the order is more than 400 aus dollars.
This also helps out as frt is the forgotten part of cost sometimes. Last order I placed I had no problem with and the service and order confirmations were great. Recieve special notices from them about every other month....outlaw

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
REEL PRICES

Anyone who is looking into buying Penn Formula 10 or 15KG's or 10 or 15 LD's should look at WWW.CHARKBAIT.COM his prices are the lowest I've seen. It's in Calif. no tax and he charges the right shipping(he doesn't try to make money on shipping) In fact I bought 2 Penn 15LD's and he charged me $15 or 16 dollers shipping-the box label said $28+ shipping on the label. Give him a look he is very fair and has specials at times where he loads the reel with line(your choice) for free.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.