NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for others opinions of Okuma Titus reels. I'm considering a couple of T50W's. Unfortunately I don't get to use them often enough to justify $400+ each for Internationals.

Thanks!
FINATIC

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hi Finatic, I bought a pair of Okumas about four years ago. I went offshore about four times per year then, with knowledge that I would be going more often in the future. I too bought them because internationals were too $$ for my situation. The Okluma's performed fair AT BEST. I found this out after fighting school bluefin one after the other with the Okumas, Penn 20's, and Shimano Beastmasters (now the TLD 25-30 series). Their drags were not as smooth and the reels were not as fluid feeling as the other two. I had to replace the drag on one reel after two seasons (7-8 trips). I sold the reels and bought a pair of Shimano TLD 25's. They have 50# test on them and they are GREAT!

I would suggest you consider Everols or Shimano TLD 25's or 30's. Often, you can pick them up used too. If you buy a used reel, pay the $30.00 to have someone experienced replace the drag washers for you. Then you know what you're dealing with. I've cought many blue sharks, mako's, one thresher (weighed 195 at the dock!)school and medium bluefins,and yellowfin with the TLD 25's on a six ft Penn mariner rod. This set-up also works well for party boat tuna trips.

Just my opinion. I'm sure if you ask enough people, someone is going to like the Okuma's...but not me.

Good Luck, Scott

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.