NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
where does inshore end and offshore begin?

and what makes you say that?

please include your home port or inlet in your answer.

set,
opinari

This message was edited by OPINARI on 1-22-02 @ 2:41 PM

· Registered
2,214 Posts
I figure "offshore" starts when you can start to catch "offshore" species such as marlin, wahoo, mahi, etc. Offshore in the Bahamas can be just 1/2 a mile while offshore in the Gulf of Mexico can be 100 miles. Just my opinion...

Gamakatsu

· Registered
131 Posts
I would think that Offshore fishing would mean Game species, They can be as close as 4-6 miles off of LE inlet in NJ.Blues,Tuna,Bonita,etc.
Last April we caught 2 BigeyeTuna, 3 Sailfish,& 2 Barracuda, 2 miles off the coast of Tulum Mx.in 600' of water.
Trolling and chumming vs. anchor or drifting the bottom,might be the answer.
Maybe the real experts could define it better.

This message was edited by NANSEA11 on 1-22-02 @ 5:45 PM

· Registered
32,144 Posts
since (as my handle suggests I primarily am a wader) - the minute I step into the water I consider myself off-shore

· Registered
3,131 Posts
When I saw this new forum, I considered asking this very question.
Everyone has thier own definition it seems.
As per Funk & Wagnalls standard dictionary.
Offshore; adj. Moving or directed away from the shore. 2; Situated or occuring at some distance from shore. adj. From or away from the shore.
Now doesnt thet clear things up?? he he
If your in a canoe 20 ft. from the shore then youve taken your boat offshore.
I like the term " Deep Sea " fishing when describing fishing far out in the ocean.

· Banned
32 Posts
In New England and most likely other places, The US Coast Guard and NMF define OFFSHORE as anywhere past the invisible line that they drew in the water. No ryme nor reson just some dark and stormy night a Yoeman took his cryon and drew this Rumb line from Eastport to Portland light and down to Boone Island and then to The Halibut point Rockport bouy and then scooted into Boston harbor to the B bouy and then zipped out off P town on Cape COD an then to Block Island. I think he ran out of all the good colours because its Black crayon on my NOAA Charts.

Capt. Walt

Where the wind comes whistlin down the Planes>

Name that tune

· Premium Member
11,904 Posts
I would also consider the distinction to be of the species instead of the distance, but togging and seabassing at 17 fathoms also has to be considered offshore.

· Registered
5,973 Posts
Trolling for bluefin tuna at the inshore spots are considered 20-40 fathoms.Blackfish on the reefs are considered inshore.Trolling bass along the beach in the fall are considered inshore.

"Fishing with an Attitude"

· Registered
5,973 Posts
Fishing out of Jones inlet in Long Island we too have had small bluefin and dolphin as close as 6 miles when the water is right.(blue and warm)

"Fishing with an Attitude"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.