NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a set of (4) rods.. 2 bent butt and 2 straight butt.. in the 80-100 pound range. Will probably be set up with 6/0's or 9/0 senators just for sharking and the occasional tuna trip...I think the bent butts will help clear the side of the boat much more for drifting, had a little issue with this last year due to the position of my rod holders.... I know a lot of you guys on here are very educated in this so i was looking for some info..Not looking for anything too expensive..I also have a few rods I tuna fish with and wanted to pick up some bent butts for the rods but couldn't find out where to get them..are they all interchangeable? What would I be looking at for a reasonable set of 4 matching rods?

·
Registered
732 Posts
Have you tried bent butts? I tried one last year and my crew hated it. Yes, if you have the same manufacture for the ferrules, then you switch from bent butt to straight butt.

If I was fighting up and down, then a bent butt is nice.

If these are for sharking, then I would stick with straight butts...

but have you looked at straight thru with tuff butts? They are lighter than the uni-butts.

Ernie

·
Registered
848 Posts
get the short bent butts buy Aftco for stand up. Bent butts are nice at times to spread the lines out from each other.They also give you more leverage on the fish when doing battle in the chair or stand up. you are able to hang the rod tip over more towards the water and pry him up.

if you have a swim plat forum they are nice for trolling so you can reach past the plat forum. i use 3 bent butts on my boat one down the center for trolling up close so the rod does not touch the line that is going way down the center and my other 2 bent butts i use for up close in my 0 degree swivel rod holders for the big 80 bent butts.

Blake Conlin
tightlinzzzzzzzzz

·
Banned
1,728 Posts
Take a look at the seeker east-coast rods.. By far the best value on stand-up rods..Or give the guys at trophy tackle a call, they also have a stand-up rod by Daiwa with Aftco guides..Or go custom

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Good morning,

Capt richie beat me to the punch.

Seeker makes very nice rods that perform and at less cost than custom. They are popular and sold at many shops.

Lamiglas makes off shore rods also but I don't recall ever seeing them in shops here on Long Island.

Many times I have stated that for the price Diawa rods are a good buy. Of course there is always Penn rods.

With all those off shore cb's in Point Judith I would think that great info would be available, Look up our own MakoMike at the docks. I believe his boat is Mako Mania. You can also send him a PM from this site.

Another option is a custom rod builder. I have a friend on Cape Cod who is an excellent rod designer/builder. He is worth talking with. Ask about his methods and prices. If interested PM me and I will send you his phone #. It seems custom rods on the Cape are doable, cost wise.

Plese your initail post of the Off Shore Forum. You will get good responses.

Neil

·
Registered
826 Posts
Depending on how hardcore you are you might want to stick with something cheaper if you want to just get some nice rods.. i found these nice pinnacle fishing rods on eabay and i bought a bunch of them! They are great and they have the removable interchangable butts like blake was talking about i believe... Also if you get the right belt you can fight with the bent butts with no efforts at all and you do get a lot more leverage.. i got 2 30-60 and 2 50-100 pinnacles rods on bents butts with 25tlds.. they are great and use them for mostly my short lines and i like to run my naked split bills from them on the short flat lines of the long flat lines... they also do work as blake says great from my 4 rod holders at 0 degrees along the transome gunnel.

They also allow baits to dig deeper depending on what you troll... We also like to use them as a short line pitch bait! The 30-60 stay short with a small bally on them and when something comes into the spead i already got 2 fresh naked in the spread.

And i also troll 2 dredges from each stern cleat!
This allows the correct clearance and gets the bait further out past! allowing at times for me to troll a dead bait behind the dredge at a lower level to once again allow it to troll deeper!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.