NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
2,763 Posts
I hate .pdf's!!! and nice place for a meeting......$$$$$?????

Gulf Council to Conduct Public Hearing on Aquaculture Amendment
Tampa, Florida ? January 15, 2008 -
The Gulf of Mexico South Atlantic Fishery Management Councils will hold a joint public hearing February 19, 2008 in Islamorada, Florida to solicit public comment on a draft Aquaculture Amendment. The draft Aquaculture Amendment will require persons to obtain a permit from the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) in order to construct and operate an aquaculture facility in the Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ) of the Gulf of Mexico. Each application for permit must comply with a litany of permit conditions related to record keeping and operation of the facility. These permit conditions will assure the facility has a minimal affect on the environment and on other fishery resources. Compliance with the conditions will be evaluated annually for the duration of the permit as the basis for renewal of the permit for the next year.

Public input is an important part of the amendment process. It offers the public an opportunity to have ideas heard and possibly included as alternatives presented to the Council for consideration. Therefore,the Council strongly encourages public participation.The meeting begins at 6:00 p.m. and will conclude no later than 9:00 p.m. at the following locations:

Tuesday, February 19, 2008
The Islander
82100 Overseas HWY
Islamorada, FL 33036
305-664-2031

Copies of the draft Amendment and other related materials can be obtained by calling 813-348-1630.
The meeting is open to the public and is physically accessible to people with disabilities. Requests for sign language interpretation or other auxiliary aids should be directed to the Council office at least five working days prior to the meeting. The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council is one of eight regional fishery management councils that were established by the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act of 1976. The Gulf of Mexico Fishery Management Council prepares fishery management plans that are designed to manage fishery resources in the U.S. Gulf of Mexico.

This post edited by loligo 07:04 PM 01/23/2008

· Registered
1,125 Posts
I saw something about this off the Pacific coast of Mexico also. The biggest problem they are having is the enormous amount of baitfish they must net to support these farms. In Mexico, however, they were less concerned about the future of the baitfish and aquaculture of the area then they were about making money on "Wild Raised" Tuna they could sell to the U.S. . Try and keep in mind EVERYTHING that will be affected by these "farms". Onc the bait goes then so does your sportfish.

· Registered
1,125 Posts
Actually, all those interviwed were Americans operating in Mexico. The third world issue is a non-issue. If people were really worried where their food was coming from then why are Twinkies, Hot Dogs and Cheez Doodles such big sellers? That was not the point anyway. It is about fisheries and damage these farms can do.

· Registered
3,017 Posts
ff4u-

Any particular reason you would like to see more farming? Wouldn't have anything to do with having another place to sell those herring and macks the MW boats are getting off New England, would it?

If thats what you are getting at here than at least admit it instead of doing it in stealth mode. (I apologize if my assessment is incorrect.)

This post edited by twofinbluna 07:07 AM 01/24/2008

· Registered
2,763 Posts
foodfish4u wrote:
twofinbluna wrote:
Huh? Whatever, ff4u. You know just as well as I do why you really want to see more farming, whether you want to deny it or not. Oh forget it I shouldn't talk to you any way I' ll delete my post sorry for the inconveince

I just quoted him so he couldn't delete it.....;)

· Registered
1,125 Posts
foodfish4u wrote:
twofinbluna wrote:
LOL, JR.

Thats a first, I have never seen someone start a thread and delete everything they wrote like that. Odd.Sorry it was easier then haggling with you thats all

Haggling? How about an informed and INTELLIGENT conversation?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.