NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 21 Boston Whaler with a single engine (125 gallons fuel) and have ventured about 25 miles out. The boat is solid and sea worthy and in excellent working condition. I would like to go further out and try to troll for tuna but do not want to do it with a single engine alone.

Would anyone in a similar situation consider pairing up this season taking both boats out, like a buddy system kind of thing. Make a plan before hand (ie how far out/where, how long we are staying out, meet in the inlet and go) We could fish the same area or just make sure we stay within sight 1 or 2 miles of each other, keeping radio contact.
Rob

·
Registered
153 Posts
I have been hoping to do this with another boat for a while. I go a little farther out each year but would feel more comfortable with a little company.

I can PM you my info and we can try and hook up in the spring. I am in Massapequa Park and launch out of John Burns park.

·
Registered
544 Posts
That sounds great I also have a boston whaler outrage 24' with twins and
will be fishing offshore moriches this year by myself and a few friends out there would be great.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am docked in massapequa and usually go out of Jones and occasionally Fire Island. Thanks for the responses.
BTW Gvisko1 a good friend of mine lives in East Moriches and I plan on taking my boat out there this year and docking it by his house for a couple of weeks.
My boat has handled some unexpected rough seas while 25 miles out prob 5-7, she handled them well and we stayed dry depending on the wind direction. At the end of the day we all had sore backs and were glad to be back on land.
I have the affordable safety equipment such as Life jackets, VHF, GPS, throw rings, flares, horn, first aid, bag valve mask, and some other stuff, no epirb, plb or liferaft. And please dont tell me I should get it even though I cant afford it because I cant afford it means I dont have the money to buy it.

·
Registered
855 Posts
Think ahead of time how you will handle different things that might happen. If one boat becomes dead in the water and can not be started with the buddy's help what happens. Options would be in calm seas for both boats to wait for help from seatow, or for the operating boat to tow the disabled boat. That is a tough decision to make. If at the same time the seas kick up to a dangerous level, then what. Does the buddy boat stay there in those conditions, or does he run for it since it is too dangerous to stay (towing is probably impossible in those circumstances for a buddy boat).

None of those decisions are easy ones.

·
Registered
131 Posts
out21

I have gone out with friends with smaller boats many times with good results but we never had any real probs. i think you should add to to your gear a small drift sock. they dont cost a lot, can be rolled up and stored anywhere and will keep your nose into the weather if the poop hits the fan. Charlie

·
Registered
826 Posts
Mr Mako brings up an excellent point in the thread.... IF the SH#% hits the fan then both 20 some odd footers are screwed! The only thing this does it put two boat in trouble.. As far as the tow goes seatow i think covers up to 100nm nows but imagine how long that would take to get them out there not to mention if the seas kick up.. If it is to bad they will not run and you will get a nice coasty to come out and pick you up! I would recommend hitting the canyons in anything under 28ft no matter how the boat is running let alone a single engine outboard! To many issue that can happen with one motor.. I have been out and blown a tranny on one of my friends 671s and had to put back on one motor.. took hours and hours but we made it.. the seas got rough too but we hung in there.. just not a good idea i dont think that all. The weather window is very small so just got to watch yourself!!!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Sportfishingusa

Were not talking about taking a 21' or 24' whaler out to the canyons
athough Iam sure they would make it . Were talking 25 miles max
It just nice to know there is someone in radio contact when your out
alone.

·
Administrator
112,309 Posts
it's actually a very good/smart idea if one boat breaks down you have a buddy boat waiting with you until help arives. if the weather starts turning nasty and help still has not arived you have the option to leave the disabled boat and head in on the good one. I know when ever i go off shore i always find out whos going to the general aera were going to so i know who to hail first incase any unforseen problems arise it's a good feeling knowing you have a BUDDY boat around you when your far out

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Im not necessarily talking about taking my 21' Whaler 90 miles out to the canyons even though Im sure it would make it, if I died my wife would be pissed. Im talking more along the lines of the 30 mile range such as the mudhole and wrecks in that range. If things go ok with that maybe I would venture a little further. My main goal is tuna and maybe catch and release some sharks. I have a HMS permit already and just need to renew.

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
Ihead out of Raritan bay and I would be interested in this. I just ordered 600' of rope with 25' of 1/4" chain. I have a drift sock and two VHF on two different batteries and a hand held. I have offshore flares and all other safty equipment. What I don't have is a life raft and a second motor. This would a great way to "kinda" compensate for that.

·
Registered
855 Posts
"Im not necessarily talking about taking my 21' Whaler 90 miles out to the canyons even though Im sure it would make it, "

I don't disagree that you would make it that far out, but I suspect you might empty the gas tank of that boat before you made it back from the canyons.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
wespeakyourname

posted 01/18/2008 04:50 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So you can afford a boat and all that other safety stuff but no EPIRB? That doesnt sound right, if you can afford to offshore fish you can afford an EPIRB

I bought my boat when I was single and living with my parents. I recently started a new job 1 year ago and took a large pay cut for a much higher salary in the near future. Also since then I am now married and have a daughter.
Wespeakyourname---Are you satisfied?

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.