NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why cant we start a new fourum/topic for the off shore fisherman. This would be a fresh topic and most of us could probably pick up on a few things or pass some stuff on. I spend alot of time on other sites picking up on a ton of west coast tricks. Tackle is always a big issue out west. Those guys do YFT(huge)on stand up with tricked out TLD 25'/30's and Penn 16's. This is un heard of around here. I had two of my TLD's tricked out and now I leave my 50's at home. Saved some $$$ and learned how use my reel accordingly. Now I use a mutch lighter setup on fish I once used 50's for. Any way if it was'nt for that off shore fishing forum I would still be lugging my 50's and 80's around. FOR OFF SHORE AND ONLY OFF SHORE

·
Registered
803 Posts
To the powers that be,

I second that emotion. Mike, I too learned and liked the west coast traditions. All I use now are 5 TLDs and 2 Penn 15KGs all rigged with 50lb Mamoi and 150 lb wind-on leaders

·
Registered
803 Posts
To the powers that be,

I second that emotion. Mike, I too learned and liked the west coast traditions. All I use now are 5 TLDs and 2 Penn 15KGs all rigged with 50lb Mamoi and 150 lb wind-on leaders

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Offshore Forum,hmm...
That sounds like a great idea.This can open a whole new world of fishing to many people.I myself have spoken to alot of people on this site from selling offshore tackle and there are alot of them with many questions on the offshore game.I have helped a bunch of people already but am no expert,in fact I learn things everytime I talk to someone thats been doing it longer than me or just different.I've taken advantage of a few offshore seminars over the years and I think its great when these guys are willing to share some of their knowledge and techniques with us.Mike,this is a great idea and I hope they do something with it.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
493 Posts
Totally agree. The tackle used on the west coast is a lot more sophisticated than the gear we use here.

My "heavy" reel is a tricked out TLD30 with 80# spectra, a 1-piece frame, oversized drag plate and ABEC 7 bearings. Spins like a top, is compact and light, fishes 80# with no problem; one of my favorite standup reels.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Hey Guys,we need more input on this idea if we want this to happen,Lets get with it.
We can help guys out with the basics of:
Drag settings,shark rigs,leaders,tuna lures and spreads,trolling speeds,temps,hooks,whole baits,fillets,strips,skirts,floats,rods,reels, flying gaffs....Come on guys,my blood is starting to pump!!!

"Fishing with an Attitude"

This message was edited by B.Attitude on 1-5-02 @ 5:28 PM

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It is good to see a few fisherman have replied to this topic. Setting this up would need the attention of the "webmaster" and the staff at Noreast. However I would be wiiling to post on the off shore topic often. I guess the first topic should be shark fishing and BFT fishing because these fisheries are the first oppertunities we have. Hopefully we will see a BFT fishery this comming season. I have no problem sharing #'s or catch info. It has always been comforting to know when I sail beyond the 25 - 30 fathom lines there is someone sailing ahead of or in trail of me. Pairing up boats. There is an article in the Big Game Fishing Journal, Sept./Oct issue that Tred Barta wrote that covers NY/NJ BFT fishing. All may not agree with Tred but this article defenitely has some good info. Anyway lets do it!!! Capt. Mike

G

·
I would really enjoy an off shore forum. Every time I make the trip I learn something new, see something new, or have questions I need an answer for.It would be nice to share experiences, problems and find better ways of hooking up out there......Lets do it!!!!!

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Hey guys,

I am new to the offshore scene and I would benfit tremendously from your knowledge. BUT, isn't all offshore fishing done from a boat? Why don't you guys feel free to share your thoughts/knowlege/questions in the "Boating Angler" forum? Too many forums isn't good either.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Also being new to offshore fishing I would benifit greatly from you guys and a forum, I have learned lots of info from little discussions and reports on this site already, I would love to see it all in one category.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Hey Capt. Mike It's always a pleasure to read your posts, you apparently possess a wealth of infomation (you know all these compliments have a purpose) and seeing how you propsed the idea, are you avail. to moderate.I'm willing to contribute and I'm sure B. Atitude is as well as well as many others out there

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.