NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going offshore Cod fishing on the Helen H next week, and I would like some comments regarding the rod that I plan to use. The last time I went Cod fishing I used a Shakespeare 6 1/2' Sturdy Stick medium/heavy, with 40# mono and a Shimano Speedmaster IV reel. I was on the Big Jamaica and we were fishing with 16oz of lead. I found it tiring to bring those monster Sea Bass up from the bottom and the Speedmaster didn't help bring the fishes up faster. But, I had a good time although I had sore shoulders

I recently purchased a Daiwa Eliminator 7' heavy stick and a Penn Senator 113H. I loaded the Penn with 50# PowerPro Superline.

My question is: Which would be the better combo for Cod?

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Hi,

I would take both rods. The 6 1/2' as backup and rigged ready to go in case you loose a rig during a hot bit, just shift rods temporarily.

Have a great trip!!!!

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I am dying to try out the Daiwa and the 113H. I have another question. If a rod states heavy action and the maximum sinker is 10 oz, can I get away with 16 oz or more on those days that you need heavy lead to hold the bottom? What happens if you use more lead that your rod is approved for?

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
francim 13

If the rod states 10 oz sinker that is what the blank was designed for or what manufacturer says.

I think all of us have over sinkered/lured a rod at some time or another.

Fiberglass rods flex the length of the rod. Because of this and the materials used a fiberglass rod can take a beating and more readily handle being over weighted.

A graphite rod only flexes at the top of the rod.
The bottom 2/3's of the rod is very stiff/strong. This is why a graphite rod can have tremendous lifting power. However, use a graphite rod improperly and you will have a 2 or 3 piece rod after it snaps.***** Do not hi stick fish or hi stick trying to free yourself from the bottom!!!!!!!

If you have to over weight in an emergency, do it while anchored or drifting away from (this can be dangerous if you snag the bottom) the boat. Drifting under the boat is just looking for trouble.

Have a good trip.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info. Thank you very much. Now, I know the difference between fiberglass and graphite lifting power. My rod says "E-Glass Blank" is that the same as fiberglass or is it better?

This message was edited by francim13 on 2-21-02 @ 9:28 AM

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Francim 13

E Glass is the latest version of fiberglass. Lamiglas says their E Glass is more durable than older versions. They also use the same epoxy as they do in their graphite blanks.

Capt Neil

·
Registered
10,712 Posts
Hi,

my 3 demo cod fish rods will be sailing out of Mass. this weekend.

I have a Seeker, Lamiglass and a Shakespeare that are available to be tested.

Capt Neil

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.