NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are there any offshore guys running 35/38 foot rockets to the canyon? beside the trolling fact and the trubel with the motors in my favorate fishing spot. how fast will a boat like a fountain be in 5 foot seas i know that i burried the bow in some tight 6 footers in a blackfinn ,maybe they were more like 8 footers ,the ? is when water comes over the top of these go fast boats does it all wash out the back ,or do i have to pick my days very carefull ,i mean i do pick my days ,but i have had the weather change ,and came back in my blackfinn ,would i still have come back in one of the go fast type and just be wet ? i was thinking of keeping the blackfinn and selling the topaz i have and get a go fast boat is there someone that came back in one of these and can give some insite

·
Registered
826 Posts
My father sold a guy a 35 donzi with triple 250s about 6 yrs ago at one of his boat auction and the deal was he buys it and i would captain it and take him offshore in it! well let say we turned the corner coming out of the inlet late out of barnegat light nj around 6pm and the sun was setting. it was a nice 2-4 second wave lengh in about 4-6 footers.. i ran that boat 35knts the entire way on auto pilot and didnt even see alot of wet! not to say it was the smartest thing.. but we got out there in 2 hours and 15 minutes.. the weather laid down and we got back from the southeast corner of the lindy to his house on the toms river in 1 hour and 50 minutes. It was like a lake the flattest i have ever seen the ocean and we did 60mph the entire way home!!

It pays to have a gto fast if you want to choose you days! lol

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
we run a 31 Fountain TE. Ive run to the canyons last year in 5 footers at 5-8 seconds at 32Knots. the larger fountains with wider beams, such at the 34 & 38, will knock the stuffings off 6-8 footers @ 3-4 seconds. these boats, with the stepped hull run very smooth. just lift the drives and lower the tabs. even our boat took 6-8 footers @ 4-5 seconds in block island sound and we ran 22 knots...although it was bumpy for sure. but the 34-38's have a greater beam and weigh more, so they knock em down well.

all in all...they are one of the best center consoles on the market, in my opinion.

here's my boat and a 38. you can see the difference with the hull design and displacement.

(ps) im wrapping my boat in "carolina blue" this upcomming season.

don

This post edited by dsedy 09:07 PM 01/29/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
tunaorlater wrote:
you guys need a class on wave hieght. 6 to 8's 3-4 seconds at 22 knots in a 31 foot boat? Everyone would sell what they have and buy a Fountain.

6-8 footers @ 4-5 seconds... in the 31

but the 34 -38 handle that. trust me ive seen it. the hull design lets the boat ride on top of the waves in a head on sea.

This post edited by dsedy 09:14 PM 01/29/2008

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
so it seems that i will at least come back ,now how old are you all, i am not old but at 45 my bones are not going to take a pounding for 2 hours either ,or is it a relativly smoth ride, i mean in the 6/8 footers i can take a leek and get something to eat in the blackfin ,i will not be drinking wine and chease but i can have a drink and walk around ,or in one of the fountains do i need to be straped in

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
WAHOOO wrote:
so it seems that i will at least come back ,now how old are you all, i am not old but at 45 my bones are not going to take a pounding for 2 hours either ,or is it a relativly smoth ride, i mean in the 6/8 footers i can take a leek and get something to eat in the blackfin ,i will not be drinking wine and chease but i can have a drink and walk around ,or in one of the fountains do i need to be straped in

wahoo,

its really not that type of boat. To make things truly comfortable you have to pick your days offshore. These boat are not like a downeaster or true canyon boat, where you can enjoy your time in an enclosed area if things get snotty outside.

I would say that they are more of the 'hit and run' type of boats for offshore fishing....pick your days...run out there..fill the boxes with some meat and come home. they really arent ment for overnight trips, although i know many people who do that type of fishing in these type of boats.

the thing is, while they can handle nasty weather and run fast in those conditions...its not ideal...unless you dont mind it for 2-3 hours.

·
Registered
725 Posts
This won't go well, but you guys are out of your minds. The rule of thumb is that when the wave height equals the wave period, you got problems.

Mike - I am with you and am not going to spend alot of time on this, because its so absurd to even debate, even in January.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
sounds like it may be worth a trip with someone before i dive right in ,and yes wave height is related to how big the fish is that was realsed,but i will say i get caught once every other year with bad weather,never learned not to trust noa

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
6-8 Footers

Like I said before. 6-8 that close there is no way you are running through them. Especially at that speed. I think you are exaggerating the heights and distance between. Thats it for me. This topic is rediculous.

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
I don't think it is even possible to have 6' - 8' wave heights separated by only 3-4 seconds, 4 maybe that would be extremely tight.

With that forecast my lines are tied to the dock.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
842 Posts
This thread says a lot about credibility & go fast boats. I run out and back on nice days in my 42' boat at 25-27 knots and I have never yet been passed by other than an equal or greater sized inboard diesel boat. I have seen plenty of center consoles slamming along on the way home in seas that I can sip a martini in. They look like a wahoo in my spread with all that spray! I know that a 36 Yellowfin can make 50knots in 5 foot widely spaced seas, but the captain's forearms hurt when he gets home, and the crew sits as far aft as possible, wrapped in bean-bag chairs just to survive.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
6 to 8s at 3-4 seconds I'm staying at the dock! No way any boat is going to do 30+ MPH in those kind of conditions. You would be skipping from wave crest to wave crest and the engine life drops real fast when they are run out of the water!

·
Registered
826 Posts
DING DING! lol mike you are right.. they were never in the water.. and 4 second wave period is pretty tight your right.. but you can just skip across the top.. i never said it wasa safe, smart or anything in the different but i can be done.. the old planning hulls just blow thru everything.. when you come out at 4-6 it is not a bad run when it supposed to lay down.. your telling me you guys are running with 4-6 footers on the way out for it to lay down to nothing after midnight yo guys wouldnt do that?? hard to believe.. it is definately worth the little plowing on the way out..

OH AND I NEVER SAID I WOULD DO IT AGAIN!! HAHAHAH

I fish on my 33 express and a 41 viking now. lol

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.