NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking into a Kayak the other day and the salesman suggested a frenzy. Is anyone familiar with it? I am looking to use it for exercise and to fish the bay when conditions permit. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Johnny B

Ocean kayak has a few models that make good fishing kayaks. The Scrambler XT, Scuppers, Drifter and Malibu 2. The Frenzy is not one of them.

That's the rpobelm with going to a kayak shop and talking to a salesman who doesn't fish from a kayak. They're clueless. If you want to buy a kayak for fishing buy it from someone who does it. Otherwise you could end up wasting your money. Your other alternative is to read these forums and buy a kayak that others are using. If you get a popular fishing kayak there are reasons why its popular.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have the Frenzy. I bought it last year since i wasnt sure whether I would spend more time fishing or riding the waves at bradley beach. Its alotta fun in the surf and I can carry it easily on my shoulder. I have made due with it for fishing but as others have stated, you can do alot better (little deck space and poor tracking). Buddy up with Jon on this issue and you will come out ok. Good Luck !!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I fish from a Frenzy. Yes it is small, tracks not bad. I fish close to shore in the rocks so this is suitable for me. I am 5'10" and weight 175, so there is not much room or capacity for extras such as big cooler, bait tank, etc. I do bring a small soft cooler for drinks and maybe one for bait.
So, if your looking to do alot of distance paddeling or bring lots of gear the Frenzy is not the choice.
Try before you buy.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Almost any kayak will allow you to fish. However, its important to determine how you think you'll be using the kayak and then do your best to get a model with the most versatility center around your intended use. If you plan on paddling a across GSB to the other side you obviously shouldn't be looking at a FnD. Conversely if you're going to regularly be fishing the surf zone you don't want a long thin touring type.

If you get a versatile kayak that's in demand you can't go wrong. When I sold my first used Cobra Explorer I had 19 people who wanted to buy it. A versatile kayak that works well for mamy people.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.