NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 19 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Two of my friends on this site bought the stand up rods this past season. They seem to have nothing but nice things to say about them so far. Do a search. You'll find a conversation regarding them unless Noreast pulled it down...Noreast thought my friends were advertising when really they were just happy with the rods and wanted to spread the word.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
CAPT RICHI wrote:
Why not go to a eastcoast rod builder???

Simple answer actually. People would rather buy a "custom" rod which is $cheap$, than to spend the money and get a rod which is ACTUALLY CUSTOM and is made for the intended application, but costs more.

THat's why you have people thinking Chaos rods are custom, and Ugly Stik makes custom rods - they just have no clue what they are paying for with a TRUE CUSTOM rod. YOu get what you pay for.

Let's not forget if someone has been driving a Yugo for years, they will not be able to appreciate driving a Bentley any more than they will appreciate driving a Honda Accord. I guess you need to upgrade in levels to be able to truly appreciate something and really notice a value on your money spent.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Guys he didnt ask for info on building custom rods. OR in which geographical location he should purchase one from.

So long as you're on the why not buy "east coast" trip...Are you going to tell me that calstar makes a crappy rod?

Billy - Dont assume either that this guy (or everyone for that matter) wants or NEEDS a custom rod...I have custom rods but I also have knock around rods that I can beat on.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
i bought one from him last year and to tell you the truth i love that rod, it the 8 foot rate at 20 to 40 nice and light, i took a piece from the tip and it is now my go to tog stick, he told me the 20 to50 7 foot would do my tog fishing great, but i just love a 76 or 8 foot rod for my toging, i would have post it on this site a long time but i didnt want to get kill, lol

nice rods for the money.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
BLUEFISH9 wrote:
Billy - Dont assume either that this guy (or everyone for that matter) wants or NEEDS a custom rod..

I agree, this is exactly why so many people still drive Yugo's. They don't NEED Bentley's. Sorry the analogy skyrocketed over your head. However, this guy posted a question about Custom Rods, so he's obviously looking. That went over your head too. Hoornswogle comes to mind, lmao.

CAlstar DOES make a crappy Blackfishing rod, and a crappy Codfishing rod. That is why the custom rods build by KNOWLEDGEABLE rod builders who actually do that type of fishing outperform them by a landslide, using the same blanks. Teh fact that you think Calstar factory rods are great Cod or Blackfiish rods, lets us all know you're chillin in a Yugo, which is OK. IT gets you from Point A to Point B efficiently.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Billy, at what point did he say he wants the rod for cod or blackfish?:

DANSGONEFISHING wrote:
Anyone ever use any of the OC RODS - seem to have good reviews in other sites ?

How does his question IN ANY WAY suggest he wants input on where to have a custom rod built? Talk about points SKYROCKETING over peoples heads! Read his post again. If you can answer it, do so...If you cant dont post. Its real simple Mr skyrocket.
I hope you build rods better than you argue.

Hey werent you a moderator at one point...what happened with that?

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Unless OC Rods is now a Rod Manufacturer and erroneously states they are a custom rod shop on their website, he's looking for a custom rod. Richi makes a point about buying locally, and why shouldn't he - he builds rods here, Neils a sponsor, and there are dozens of builders locally. Why spend money somewhere else, when looking for answers here? THt's like walking into a tackle shop to play with a reel, and going to buy it off EBAY.

You asked about Calstar rods, I answerred using BLackfish and Codfish as specific examples to support my claim. I have no clue what he's looking for, but the answer still holds true to your question.

MOderating - Yup, I was fired because of my uncanny ability to speak teh truth. I was also a master at ending people's interent careers.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Billy, I'll be the bigger man and appologize for the cheapshot. Im sorry.
However, shooting arrogant comments at me Is completely uncalled for though:

"Sorry the analogy skyrocketed over your head"
"Teh fact that you think Calstar factory rods are great Cod or Blackfiish rods, lets us all know you're chillin in a Yugo"

I never said they make good blackfish or cod rods...did I? NO. I implied that Calstar makes good rods...which they do.
Lets you all know Im chillin in a Yugo? You have no idea what gear I fish. You have no idea what I spend the bulk of my time fishing for either. And finally...AGAIN...the guy asked about OC rods. I think he's looking for ansers about OCrods.

In my initial post I in no way attacked you. I simply stated that you shouldnt assume that he wants to spend big bucks on a custom rod. Then you come back at me with an attitude...uncalled for.
Anyway, again...I appologize. I guess everyone who fishes a rod thats not made by Billy40 drives a yugo.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi guys,

I went and looked at the OC web site. There were several posts from owners of the rods stating they liked the product. I tried to see what the site offered. I could not find out how much the rods cost or what the components were. Did I miss something?

Checking what others think of a product is a good way to start. If everyone likes a product then it is a good bet that it is good. For my money I want to handle the rod if I am going to spend hard earned money. Eack one of us likes a different feel/ touch/flex or whatever.

As a rod builder I do buy blanks blind as new models come out. Not my preferred method but I have no other choice. Blanks are not siting in tackle shops for me to test. I wish they were.

Just a couple of thoughts.

CN

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
BLUEFISH9 wrote:

I never said they make good blackfish or cod rods...did I? NO. I implied that Calstar makes good rods...which they do.

I guess everyone who fishes a rod thats not made by Billy40 drives a yugo.

Good factory rods, or good blanks? IMO, there is no such thing as a good factory rod compared to a properly built custom. Many people use Calstar's for Blackfishing, as well as Cod. Since no fish is specified, I specified a couple. Calstar does NOT build a good rod for either type of these fish. OC ROds, or any other West Coast rodbuilder will also not build a good rod for this type of fishing unless: they have done it before, or the fisherman knows exactly what he wants, conveys that to teh builder, and the builder nails it to a tee. OC Rods is a custom place, no?

TEHre are so few people fishing my rods...and there will be even less as I'm not building for anyone at this point. SO while the rods I do build for the fishing applications are not Bentleys, tehy are Ferrari's which made a stop at teh Pimp My Ride garage. Now imagine I'm a Moderator.

Not revelant.

Neil

This post edited by Captneilf 07:13 PM 01/22/2008

1 - 19 of 86 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.