NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First event of many planned for 2008 was held today in NY in my shop. 11 builders took time to come out and have a few beers, east some food, share tips, tricks & general BS about rodbuilding and fishing. The list of attendees were: Bernie C (Inlayman), Ralph S (Rodwinder), Bernie Z, Ralph78, Paul, Mike McG, Rich (Quint), Roy C, Joy D, Triet, and myself. Unfortunately due to work, Seane was unable to attend.

Day started off with Inlayman pulling about 50 inlayed grips out and laying them out on the pool table. Each one had between 10-75 hours invested, and they were GORGEOUS. Bernie also wow'd us with several of his custom rods, including one of my favorite wraps, teh SAilboat.

Rodwinder gave us a sneak preview of the Bash Raffle, some Noreaster is going to be REALLY fortunate to win this rod. An absolutely stunning rod with flawless threadwork....par for the course for Ralphie.

As everyone chit chatted, I was slaving away in teh kitchen, heating up lasagna, sausage & peppers, and a tray of chicken & vegtables - big thanks to Joe, Roy & Rich fo rthe food, it was GREAT.

We then sat around laughing pretty hard at some of Bernie's stories, coupled with some commentary from Bernie Z & TRiet. Speaking of Triet, he won the door price, a custom shaped grip compl;iments of the host - I may be making many more sets of these for NOreast rodbuilders, please PM me if you are intersted in one of these grips.

When all was said & done, it was a great day, and I'm looking foward to doing this again in teh near future. Next planned NERB event is High Point the last weekend in Febrary.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, unfortunately there's some BRoadway play which gave BC a loophole out of the High Point Show. Who knows, maybe he'll be able to swing down next year. I hope he'll be able to make it to more NERB Gathering s in teh future, it was REALLY GREAT to see him today.

He is truly the INLAY KING, and he really opened some eyes today.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quint, you gotta tell me how teh Brownies can be left out all day...and they are STILL moist as of 10 minutes ago? **** those thing were good.

Pleasure having you over, looking foward to seeing that Predator complete. THen teh Dragon. Then the 11 other rods, lol.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know a few pics were taken, and I will be updating my site on Monday. YOu're right though, more focus needs to be made on taking pics at these things.

·
Registered
4,291 Posts
Great time yesterday.....first off thanks to Billy for being a gracious host to all of us.

the day started off with Bernie displaying his rods and what seemed to be a bottomless pit
of a duffle bag loaded with custom inlayed grips, i cant even imagine the hours it must have taken to construct all of them. this was only the second time i got to spend some time with him and it was great to talk to a true historian of rodbuilding....as beautiful as his stuff is i would say he is a better person than he is a rodbuilder

This was to most custom rods i have ever seen in one gathering...one nicer than the next.
and it was great to be with an awesome group of guys...the amount of experience you can gain with an informal freeflow of ideas and what works and what didnt for each builder is priceless and cannot be learned on the internet.

It was also nice to get my hands of some of Billy's GUSA stock, one of the biggest losses to rodbuilding over the years are stocking dealers where you can go pull on a blank to see if it meets your needs because of this i went home with an additional GUSA and have two more on order all because the mystery is removed and i will get these blanks with the action i am expecting....because of this i think it would be a great idea at future meetings is to have everyone bring a few blanks they may have at home...you may wind up with 25 or 30 differnt blanks this would be a huge help to everyone involved.

Once again Billy thanks
now its time to start that modified SW Blanket....i will be hating you again this afternoon

This post edited by Rodwinder 12:01 PM 01/27/2008

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The RWSW Blanket, lol. Have fun. The one I saw yesterday was gorgeous.

The bottomles pit, lmao. BC sure can hold a crowd at attention. It's great to see him with a big smile on his face, like a big kid in a candy store.

That's a great suggestion on bringing blanks, will add that to the next event. Personally, I would like to do these more often, it's unfortunate that people have to travel so far though.

I gottta get rid of that **** pool table. There were only 12 people in there and it was a little tight. First gathering I had down there 18 people showed up, we were test casting in my backyard, lol - no fences back then. No grass either, the neighbor was on point back then, lol.

I almost forgot about teh test casting - 2 surfcasters were punished yesterday and had to spend 30 minutes on the beach. Ralph & Mike trooped 4 minutes to test cast 2 AFAW rods, and a NEW LAmi Super Surf 2-6oz. Tehy also snuck my inviso-guided rod to see if was going to flop in teh casting department. Glad to report back all rods casted better than expected. Mike & Rakph were allowed back in to warm up with a couple of half frozen beers.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Scary to think that something hat simple, could cause so much frustration, lol.

RT - give me a ring. It was a great day, lot's of fun. There's a lot of beer leftover, which I'm not used to.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Billy, thanks for having me yesterday. It was good to see some familiar faces, and meet a lot of new guys yesterday. I was bummed that I had to leave as early as I did, but it was well worth the two hour drive each way to attend.

My drive home was consumed with thoughts on how to build that GUSA 70MH that I acquired from your stock. I have a few ideas, but I'm not going to wrap it until I try a few different patterns and colors to make sure that I get it just right. It is a sweet blank. Thanks for showing it to me.

For those of you that did not attend, you missed a lot. The grips that Bernie showed off where phenomenal. It's hard to believe that something as basic as a fishing rod can have so many ways to personalize and customize it. I was also stoked when Bernie said that my spiral wrapped surf rod was just right. It was my first spiral wrap and first surf rod that I've ever wrapped, and Bernie's approval made me feel great.

Rich, your wife's brownies and cookies were fantastic. This may be a rod building forum, but a recipe or two posted on here would work nicely.

Again, thanks again Billy. I had a fantastic time.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have been to countless seminars and fishing shows over the years and I can't remember having a more enjoyable time then I spent at your house Billy and with nicer people then attended this little gathering of rodbuilders. The food and hospitality was more then I could have expected and the guys were all friendly and great rod builders. Your shop is amazing and slightly bigger then mine whch is 10'x24'. I know that people at HP are going to flip out when they see the stuff you will be showing and you can't help but be successful.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Joe, I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and it was worth the trip up. TO be honest, I really didn't do much - EVERYONE tht was there made it what it was, which is tehbest part about these gatherings. Enjoy that blank, and good luck wrapping those Forcasts.

Bernie - I loved having you. I'm pretty stupid for not inviting you to any of these before. This was the first one I've had at my shop sinc 2005, but rest assured, I will be doing them at least 1-2 times per year. I knew what to expect with you coming over with a "couple" of grips. But you blew me away takin them out tantalizingly slow, one at a time, as everyone buzzed around trying to get the first look at what was coming out of the bag. That was a classic moment!!

Between your stories, advice, and grips, everyoen can't wait for another NERB gathering with Bernie. I'm trying to set one up for 17 guys to come over to your shop on Friday evening, let me know what time we should come. lol!!! Seriously, it really was a pleasure havin gyou over and seeing your work. I'm gonna say it over and over.

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ralph, next time we should have a race - I'll VW the pattern, and you wrap it. lol.

Nice job, that's a 100% never been wrapped pattern in the History of Rodbuilding right there. Uh, it's only Monday, you couldn't have started until Sunday - you're nuts.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Good morning,

The pics just above my post are very informative, especially for some one wanting to do thread art, just beginning and wondering how in the name of Neptune do I start. How informative it would have been for the newbie to see say 5 more pics taken at different steps between the 2 pics above.

I learned just by looking at the pics. To see the foundation wraps gave me an idea how it is wrapped. To see how important it is to line up the foundation threads as perfect as possible in the top pic. The best results all starts with the best foundation. Lousy foundation, lousy end product.

This could be just me but this may apply to other builders. Learn from my hesitations. I have always been afraid to do something that may make the blank less perfect or possibly cause damage down the road. When I laid out wraps I would use a felt tipped marker and always had trouble getting the wraps straight. Then one day I see a builder marking his cross over points using a straight edge razor. A very experienced builder I might add. GULP!!! He is scoring the blank!!! GULP!!! How can he do that I thought. Well after some analysis and self analysis I also do it that way now and my thread work looks much straigher.

If you look at the top pic on the left side you will see the line scored probably by a straight edge razor blade just below the glare line created by a light above the blank.

Years ago in the pre internet you would rarely see piccs like these. As a thread art individual you had to gleam all this usually by yourself. Info was not cheerily passed on. Actually they were trade secrets!!! We are very fortunate to have these great thread art individuals who go out of their way to share their knowledge with us.

Maybe in the future more pics of inbetween stages can be taken so we can have a better understanding how these wraps are done. I know that looking at these 2 pics started some desire in me to try such a wrap, IF, I only had time. Maybe, just maybe!!!

Thank you to all who share!

Raplh, you must have BIONIC EYES!!!

Neil

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.