NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Al,
What has happened to the cod that used to frequent the 20-30 miles wrecks off the south shore? Not that long ago I would always fish the day after Thanksgiving for cod out of Freeport but not anymore.

You can still get them at Coxes Ledge and further north off Georges Banks and such. Are they just not migrating inshore b/c of water temps, food supply, etc...? Just curious.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
MK5381,

Ahhh yes, what happened to the bacalla days? Unfortunately many commercial groups have over-harvested this fishery and now it?s of big concern! I am like you, I used to fish Freeport party boats, Montauk charters and Sheepshead Bay for those tasty white meat ? but quite frankly, the NY waters is just about done with. Similar to our winter whiting fishing! It?s a sad story but true. If you need to catch, you will need to go North as you stated!

Regardless of the facts, every year I still hop around and do my cod thing. It?s like old time sakes, but more and more often, I get very disappointed. Sure we could scrape a few here and there? but the days of those true golden backs are gone! I don?t know if you remember the early 70?s when the Montauk, Viking Fleet used to go out daily (even in May and June) where a few 30?s would be considered a slow day? ARG! It?s hard to write about this topic? :(

This is truly a sad case? but all we could do about it is hope for better ?fishery management? and pray for a fast recovery!

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
My father took me for my first cod trip on the Capt. Al (back when he was out of Freeport). It was on a "cow country" trip. We did well, got some cod and ling. I won the pool with a fish that was about 25 pounds.

I've done a number of winter south shore cod trips over the years but with ever decreasing success. :( Last time I took cod on the south shore was several years ago. I was on a private boat and we were diamond jigging around the old McAsllester (pardon the spelling) grounds, now known as the Fishingline Reef area.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.