NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Earlier in the week I put up a thread covering the latest deep jigs from Shimano. Well, according to my friends at Causeway B&T, Dennis Braid also has a line of these jigs, just now hitting the market.

Look kinda similar, will be available in four colors, and in weights ranging from 3/4 to a full 10 ounces. Expect them to hit Causeway's shelves in 3 or 4 weeks and to be "significantly" less in price than the Shimano pieces.

As far as hook sizes and "specialized - tailored" rods to fish these jigs - this is direct from Dennis's mouth:

"BLAH BLAH BLAH"? "if you want bigger hooks on them, put bigger ones on and it doesn?t matter what type of rod but a fast action rod does seem to help."

So there it be.

best, Lep

Attachments

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
I like 3 out of the 4,keep the blue one. That root beer sort of color has some potentail down here, does he ship ...LOL;)

Why do they have 2 eyelets on it, one up top and one in front?:confused:

This post edited by baywatch 03:43 PM 01/24/2008

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have to guess because tying your leader to either of the two eye loops will make the lure hoop along slightly differently.

Lep

·
Registered
455 Posts
2 eye loops

OK... we'll chime in.

On a side note... ALL of the new Shimano Lucanis Jigs come with 2 loops and Braid's "Sea Fox" jigs (not the Thumper Jigs)come with the 2 loops. These are designed for casting, vertical jigging and squidding. For casting, you would tie to the loop on the nose and would not use the other loop at all however, if you tie to the upper loop, you can use it for vertical jigging. In one of the pictures that Lep posted (with the shimano jigs), you can see that the jig is used almost like you would use a three way swivel. The line from the tip of your rod would attach to the upper loop and on the other loop you could attach a line with another weight, to keep the jig a certain distance from the bottom or simply to get to the bottom.

Hope that helps!

Feel free to stop in and we would be glad to elaborate.

Causeway Crew

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just got done looking over braidproducts.com and they have a PDF Flyer there highlighting the new Sea Fox and Thumper Squid.

http://www.braidproducts.com/newproducts/

As mentioned above the two connection points are for casting and jigging, I really find the connection point in the middle of the head perfect for jigging and the front connection point for casting.

On the flyer there is 5 colors? Is this correct and correct me if I'm wrong but does Dennis have 3 more sizes then the Shimano's?

Either way I am excited for when these suckers hit the streets!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
455 Posts
Jig Sizes

Both jigs, the Sea Fox and the Thumper Squid will be available in 3/4, 1 1/2, 2 1/4, 3, 4 1/4, 7 and 10 1/2 ounce. Dennis told us they were working on one additional size between the 4 1/4 and the 7 too.

All sizes will be available in 5 different colors:

#28 = Goatfish
#31 = Purple/Pink
#38 = Midnight
#40 = Dorado
#41 = Orange Mackerel

And They ALL LOOK GOOD...lol!

·
Registered
539 Posts
I tried the new thumper jig in dorado and did pretty well with it at Montauk.I didn't get any keepers all shorts.
I went into causeway on wendseday and Chuck showed me one and I said what the **** I'll try it.It was the 5.25oz size I believe.I changed the hooks to smaller ones.The jigs have some really good action to them.They also sink very well.Everyone on the boat was usind 8-10oz sinkers and I was able to get down with 5.25oz.I wasn't staight up and down but was able to hold bottom and jig it.I was holding just as good as everyone else.I also out fished everyone else.I thought for sure I was going to loose it rightaway.At $10 they are a little steep for fluking.I will buy more though and just try not to use them around sticky bottom.

Donald

·
Registered
539 Posts
Banged the fluke again today using these jigs.At one point I was out fishing the 4 other guys I was with around 3:1.At one point I had 8 fish before anyone else caught one.The do work and good.

Donald

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hey Donald!!! You've got to come fishing with us and demonstrate your technique for jigging them. IO look forward to it.

With all the nay-saying that every new lure seems to generate when first introduced, its good to find someone that has an open mind and a willingness to at least give the newest stuff a shot and give honest feedback.

Kudos!

Best, Lep

·
Registered
539 Posts
Anytime pete just give me a call.Our buddy Gus was quit amazed at the way I put a beating on them yesterday.I bought some bait that Gus said wasn't working the day before and I was tipping the jig with them and they attacked it with a vegence.

Donald

·
Registered
658 Posts
I have been using these for a couple of weeks now in the back bays and I have caught fish on them but i wasnt out producing other people with other methods.I was actually catching more fish on my high hook. They Are really nice jigs And im still using them.

This post edited by striperguy5 03:18 PM 07/21/2008

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.