NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any idea what this fish is that we found in a crab trap this fall?

Dorsal fin ran along the whole back and underside kinda like a wolf fish, but with the down turned and small mouth, not to sure about that guess either.

This post edited by doughboy 04:00 PM 01/07/2008

Attachments

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
I'll second the top fish as a possible Juv. Milletseed Butterfly fish, never seen on in our local waters. I have kept them in my reef tank. As for the bottom one.????I would like to have seen the anal fin to take a shot at it. Does look alot like the Wolfie.

·
Registered
763 Posts
The top fish is a SPOTFIN BUTTERFLY believe it or not I see lots of them diving in J-bay. Never that big only about 2 inches long.
You can tell it's a spotfin from the black spot on it's rear top fin.

The other fish looks like a type of Goby but I don't know if they get that big. it looks alot like a MUDSKIPPER.

You said you caught these in a crab trap but you didn't say where it was set.

Were you in the Carolinas?

This post edited by KNOTME 02:27 PM 01/07/2008

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We were by Captree Island, here in the Great South Bay of Long Island. Caught them on November 4th. We knew the top one was a butterfly but not the specific type. Thanks. We had two of those in the trap. We let them all go after the pics, but figured the coming cold would wind up doing them in anyway.

Just no idea what that bottom one is.

Here's a better pic of the butterfly and another of the two together, looking down on the top of the mystery fish.

being as they are laying on the bottom of an overtunred chum pail, you can tell how small they were. Just a couple inches at most.

This post edited by doughboy 04:00 PM 01/07/2008

Attachments

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Sportfishingusa wrote:
That second fish is just a small oyster cracker!!

looks like it may be a little deformed.

If it's an oyster cracker it a lot deformed. Look at the little mouth it has!

·
Registered
443 Posts
The top fish is a Reef Butterfly. It is found as an occasional stray up to NY. The other is definitely a Feather Blenny. I've never caught one, but I do alot of bottom fishing around rocks and piers-the Blenny's common habitat-but now I have proof that they are here! Where'd you catch it?

Nice catches.

CUL8TR

·
Registered
91 Posts
There are plenty of butterfly fish in Great South Bay. You have to know where to look. In the fall, they are around the jetties at Oak Beach at Fire Island Inlet along with squirrel fish. They also hang in the rocks of the Sore Thumb but the current is swift and they don't seem to like it as much. Back in the late sixties and early seventies, we used to catch them and sell them to Ed's Aquarium.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.