NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would love to explore the North Fork. I used to rent skiffs out of Port of Egypt and pull in buckets of late season porgies the size of dinner plates (a little exageration). Great fishing around Buoy 18 right off the boat channel. At least it used to be.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I have visited Greenport and Orient Point Several times over the last couple of years and I have always wanted to launch from Orient Point near the Ferry. There is an ample sized parking lot and ready beach access from the parking lot. Have you guys fished from there?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
I live out in Cutchogue and have been Kayak fishing for the past five years between Cutchogue and Orient. I fish mostly at night for Bass and Blues. I've done very well fishing for bass with live eels from the yak.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Night fishing from a kayak?? That sounds like a challenge.

Do you need special lights for the yak and what about you? Do you clip something like strobes to your pfd etc in case you get into trouble out there at night?

Look forward to fishin Orient from a yak this year!

·
Registered
4 Posts
night fishing

I carry a maglight around my neck and a backup in my PFD. My PFD has reflective tape on it. If this is the legal way to night fish from a Yak I don't know. Where I fish there isn't any boat traffic just a occasional surfcaster on the beach at times. I stay out of range a good two cast out from there reach

·
Registered
91 Posts
Night fishing is a hoot and very productive.
USCG: You are required to carry a light to warn in time to avoid collision or display same lights as a small sail boat and a sound signal like a horn or whistle. A flashing strobe is an emergency signal, it's a good idea to carry one and if you are trouble use it, but reserve it for emergencies.
NYS: You are on yr own regarding any additional state regs usually abv satisfies the state req.

I personally wear a headlamp and carry an air horn where it can be reached easily. Headlamp makes you pretty visible if you shine it on a day-glo paddle blade. I also have a 3D cell mag light, plus a mini mag light and a whistle for redundancy. Carry a compass or GPS as well, if any chance you can get fog bound. Better at night with a buddy or 2, I can get creeped out alone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.