NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Viking fleet is starting it's "Noman Land" tog trips this week and I was wondering if anyone has any info to share on these trips. Specifically, how productive are they, how deep do they fish, how long of a run is it to the grounds, best spot on the boat to fish, average size of the tog caught, and any other info would be appreciated. Thanks,

·
Registered
612 Posts
I sailed on one of these trips last year and caught the biggest and badest blackfish i have ever seen. numerous fish over 8 pounds up to 10+.

tight lines...Anthony

This message was edited by bhm25 on 10-28-01 @ 11:45 AM

G

·
Hi Quiknet Nomans is off the coast of R.I. or Mass. big big ride from montauk thats why the boat leaves at 3 am . True blackfish heaven. There is a R.I. boat that i have fished several times in R.I. "Frances Fleet" your at nomans in less than an hour. You don't state where your coming from so you have to deside if you want to drive (from nyc to ri arrrox 3 hrs) or take a 3-4 hour boat ride possibly getting your as- kicked the entire trip. The web site for the Frances fleet is www.francesfleet.com tight lines

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks llzzy, that is really good to know. I'm from the west end of L.I and the drive to R.I wouldn't be that much longer than me going to Montauk. I'm also kind of disgusted with the Viking Fleet. A guy posted a report a few days ago, saying how he was on an offshore cod trip, and the mates gaffed a "350-400" pound mako shark that was chasing a bluefish. The angler said the guys steaked it up and gave it to customers.

First, where is the sport in sticking 6 gaffs into a shark.

Second, a mako that size is probably a sexually mature female...so much for her making more makos.

Third, any shark fisherman will tell you, once a mako gets over 200 pounds, the quality of the meat goes to ****. If that fish really was 400 pounds, I'm sure most of those steaks will end up in the garbage.

Last, doing things like this makes recreational fisherman no better than longliners. ****, shouldn't have said that, I might have given them an idea.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Even though Martha's Vineyard is New England's largest island at 20 miles long and 9 miles wide, you'll find it is easy to negotiate on foot or pedal. The island consists of six towns, each with its own personality. Some 16,000 year-round residents call the island home, but, during the busy summer months, that population swells to nearly 100,000. Together with the town of Gosnold on Cuttyhunk Island (the only public island of the Elizabeth Island chain just west of the Vineyard) and No Man's Island (an uninhabited island off Aquinnah, the island's westernmost community)....

I've never seen another partyboat on the Viking trips. The Frances Fleet ain't much better than the Viking. Their tuna boat caught fire offshore with a full load of passengers this year. I like Point Judith better than Montauk for cheap seafood. Other than that, it's kind of a one horse town. There's good surf fishing in RI, the mansions of Newport for the wife, the sins of Foxwoods for the grandparents, and Pt. Judith is all of a 45 min drive from the Cross-Sound Ferry.

Too bad I don't know much about blackfish, but No Man's is on my lifetime list for fluke. Supposed to be loaded with 15lbers.

This message was edited by cheesypoof on 11-1-01 @ 3:06 PM

·
Registered
224 Posts
i would take being in a boat for 3 hours then a car any day of the year ...i am sure that mako's jaws would be over the francis fleets dock also. I guess you are going to be releasing all you blackfish since you are so conservation minded

G

·
Hey Tuna Bab would you rather fish for an add'l 2 hrs or boat ride an add'l 4 hrs ? On the other side if Linda is in the gally and the cards are flowing the playing field changes

·
Registered
224 Posts
i remember i drove to RI just to fish next to the viking and the viking was there first thats why they leave at 3am they fish just as long as the other boats they just have to steam a little longer I enjoyed the nap

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Tuna Bab,

No, I don't release all the blackfish I catch because I am so conservation minded. I do try to keep only what I will use, but that is besides the point. The point is that when I go tog fishing, I use a rod and reel and with some use of angling skill (dumb luck) I sometimes am able to get a blackfish up from the bottom and into the boat. This earns me the right to do whatever I want with the fish (as long as it's a legal catch). NO ONE caught that mako. It was gaffed out of the ocean for reasons of greed or machismo, who knows why? If one of the fishermen on the boat had hooked and landed the mako, we would not be having this discussion.

You also say that the Frances Fleet would have done the same thing. Would have and could have are meaningless words. Unless you have the powers of Miss Cleo, no one really knows what "would have happened if". And another fact is that if fishermen start to vocalize that they feel acts of wasteful greed won't be tolerated by party boats, private boats, anyone, maybe then guys will think twice about doing something like this again.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tuna Bab,

I shouldn't even bother responding to such a pathetic statement but I've got nothing better to do.

The diff-rence (as you so aptly put it)is the difference between fishing and killing. A mako with a hook in it's mouth can be released at boatside, while a mako with a gaff in it's gills is probably done for. Another diff-rence is that you can't force a mako to eat an 11/0, you have to trick him into it. And then if you manage to pull that off, you still have to fight and land him with your rod and reel. This is known as angling. Look into it.

By the way, it occured to me that the posted report by Big Red Cooler on 10-29 about this incident may be a complete exaggeration or inaccurate report. If it is, I apologize to the Viking Fleet for bringing this up. If his report was true, then I hope that they are ashamed of what they did to that great shark.

·
Registered
224 Posts
i still think they did nothing wrong its a nice trophy for the dock every charter boat out in montauk does it why cant they. this is fishing and fish do die in fishing part of the game. i can tell from your previous posts you dislike commercial fisherman and i bet every one else here dislikes them also. but face it the very party boats all you cry babies fish of are in the same buisness you would be surprised what all the east coast party boats kill verses the longliners.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I was going to stay out of this, but I love controversy, so here's my 2 cents:

First of all, I have both commercial fished and run party boats and be assured that long lining kills many, many, many more QUALITY fish than party boats could ever hope to. There was once an established hook and line sword fishery in South Florida and in 1978 they started long lining them. By 1980 it was an absolute waste of time to fish for swords recreationally.

Now, regarding the free gaffing of a mako, I think that quiknet is making a mountain out of a mole hill. In reality fishing is a "macho" sport where man conquers fish. A dead fish is a dead fish, whether is caught with a rod and reel or on a gaff. Had the fish been been caught on a rod and reel and then killed, would quiknet be so upset? If I were in the same position, I would have free gaffed the mako also. I am tired of some catch and release anglers condescending on anglers that don't follow their philosophy. C & R fishing kills fish too and when it does, it is an absolute waste of a resource.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
Here's two more cents worth. Free gaffing a mako that size is really sporting if you ask me. That fish must have gone ballistic! If they just harpooned it it would still be sporting, just not as exciting.Quicknet: Mako in the 300to400 lb. range is still pretty good eating, cut these guys some slack will you? LATER

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.