NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is regarding a NY report posted by Billy O who fished at The Dip. People who are fishing for tuna should be aware of the regulations concerning the fish that they are catching. The angling category bag limit for bluefin tuna is FOUR fish 27-73 inches curved fork length per boat per day, with ONE fish 73 inches or greater as a trophy fish per season. These rules are readily available a www.nmfspermits.com and should be studied by people who just go out and keep whatever they catch no matter if they are breaking the law. A bluefin tuna that weighed 221lbs fully dressed would definitely be longer than 73 inches making that the one trophy per season. BillyO apparently caught this fish and three others as large in which case he is in severe violation of federal bluefin regulations. This behavior can not be stood for and should be fully investigated by the proper authorities. People who fish this way give fishermen a bad name, and contribute to the arguements that commercial fishermen have against recreational fishermen. GET A CLUE!!!!!.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Billy O,
By law you must also report all BFT's taken, either by phone or through the website that Mark has provided. The fines for an unlicensed BFT are tremendous. Additionally, as Mark stated if you have an Anglers or Recreational Permit it is 4 per day. If you have a Commercial Permit it is one (recently ammended to two, it varies with area catches which is why reporting is necessary) giant or trophy per day and 0 rats (under 73 fork length). Last week out of Nantucket we released a 200lber that was approx. 70" because my buddy has a commercial permit. Those are the rules we play by.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Mark,
I suspect that Billy-O has his tunas mixed up. If he was fishing at the dip its unlikely he caught bluefins, they rarely show up that far out. Most likely he had yellows or bigeye. But you're right, every one who fishes for tuna should know how to identify what they catch and what the rules are.

===MakoMike===

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
MakoMike,

Bluefin are indeed caught at the Dip and other canyon locations. Take a look at the report for this weekend from Fishman. He just had bluefin on a partyboat fishing at the Fishtails and the Hudson Canyon. These reports are very common even at the Dip.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I know that the bluefin are occasionally caught in the canyons, its just not that common, especially when they are being caught inshore. I suspect that Billy-O was more likely misidentifying his tunas, but either way, there's no excuse for it.

===MakoMike===

·
Registered
445 Posts
Just an FYI...They change often so make sure you check back, if you have permits or not...
NMFS ADJUSTS ATLANTIC BLUEFIN TUNA GENERAL CATEGORY DAILY RETENTION LIMIT,
General category landings rates have been slow to date in the Atlantic bluefin tuna (BFT) fishery. Based on a review of dealer reports, daily landing trends, and the availability of BFT on the fishing grounds, NMFS has determined that, for the month of October 31, 2001, the previously scheduled restricted fishing days (RFDs) should be waived, and that an increase in the daily retention limit in the General category is necessary in order to allow full use of the September and October - December subquotas. Therefore, NMFS waives the RFDs for the month of October (i.e., the RFDs scheduled for October 1 and 3) and adjusts the daily retention limit to two large medium or giant BFT per vessel from September 24 through October 31, 2001.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I appreciate everyone's concern but the fact is that the four BLUEFIN tuna we landed measured between 64 and 66 inches. I cannot tell you if a 66 inch tuna cannot weigh 221 lbs. without head, tail and guts but that is what the scale said at offshore sports. (maybe thats why they call it Liars Saloon!) I do not want to start a battle here but I don't appreciate being bashed on this site. I should have put the measurements on my report. I have been posting reports of all types of fishing since this site was founded in an effort to share my experiences with other fisherman and perhaps enable them to catch more fish. Do you think I would knowingly post a report of an illegal catch? I know there are a lot of Clueless people out there but anyone who knows or fished with me knows that I'm not one of them.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
BillyYo, I agree with you that your weights were probably off a huge amount. A trip with four 64-66 fish is still a very respectable one. I'm sure you guys took lots of photos to remember it. Why don't you post a picture or two of the fish at the scale to show everyone that you indeed caught fish that were much smaller than your initial report implies. If everyone could see that the fish were of legal size, maybe you can gain back their respect.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess the scale must have been broken then, or maybe you forgot to measure them until after you cut the head and tail off. The NMFS defines a small medium bluefin tuna as being 59-<73" curved fork length, weighing approximately 135-<235 lbs. Your biggest fish at 66" would fall in the middle of this range and should weigh somewhere around 180lbs whole, even if it was an unusually fat fish I don't see how it could weigh 221lbs without the guts, head, and tail. I was also wondering what you do with 800 lbs of tuna that you can't sell, what ever happened to the spirit of catch and release?

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Well Guys it appears I owe you an apology. I heard this weekend that the bluefin are thick between the dip and the Hudson. Saw more than a few nice fish taken out there. So I guess Billy-O had his tuna ID right!

===MakoMike===

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.