NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sold big boat a few years back but not my 10' achilles with 8hp outboard. brought it out of hibernation and got a small trailer. i plan to use the kings park bluff ramp and the long beach ramp most of the time. can anyone tell me about flyfishing the nissequogue river from jericho tpk. north to smithtown bay, or suggest a web site that might cover the area.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Spp1112,

Thanks for pulling me out of my forum to answer your question. :)

OK - The Niss. River is a popular flyrodder's haunt and it holds some very impressive bass during the first few hours of the ebb tide! Any intermediate line tipped with a Clousers, ½ & ½ or deceivers in the peanuts or sandeel patterns will do the trick! Also, during the quiet / low light conditions… a floating line with a slow working slidder or popper (2/0 - 3/0) will give you some explosive takes! ;)

Hope this helps!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Having fished that area extensively I can tell you that you will almost always find them at that point of the tide in one of three places with all being in the back. I’m sure that there’s fish being caught at the mouth, but the back-side is where I find most of my action on the ebb.

I should add you can catch them back there with small bucktails, plugs and flies, but their true delight is sandworms.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Here?s what I do:

I find a spot that has moving tide, grass and a drop off. I then use one of three methods to catch them. Casting swimming plugs, that is if I see any top water action, small bucktails, if the tides honking, and sandworms if everything?s just right.

I always use light line ? I know it hurts the fish, but that?s how I like to fish. In most cases this is drift fishing.

The rest you?ll have to learn on your own, just remember that you need to be stealth and not running over areas you intend on fishing.

Good luck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.