NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,935 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looks pretty sweet........made the cover of boats and harbors this month.... 24 knots.......looks good to me.

Nice Day Too
Characteristics:
Overall Length: 62' 0"
Overall Breadth: 21' 6"
Overall Depth: 9' 6"
Fuel Capacity: 1200 gal.
Fresh Water Capacity: 200 gal.
Passengers: 49
Main Engine Power: 2 x 405 HP Cummins QSL 9.0
Generator Power: 1 x 12 KW
Maximum Speed: 24 knots
Displacement: 32 tons
Gross Tonnage: 42 tons
Net Tonnage: 28 tons
Draft: 4' 0"
Nice Day Too was built for Mr. Tom Chen from Montauk, New York. He operated a smaller 6 pack charter boat prior to commissioning the build for this new vessel. This Vessel?s displacement catamaran hull design was acquired from Mr. Malcolm Tennant of New Zealand. The remainder of the engineering was performed by Mr. Glenn Ring with Advanced Fabrication and Mr. Roger Fyffe with Fyffe Yachts - both of Houston, TX. The vessel has a USCG, COI for 100 miles open oceans. It is certified for 49 passengers on day fishing trips and can sleeps 20 on overnight trips. Nice Day Too is equipped with twin Cummins QSL 9.0, 405 HP @ 2100 rpm diesel engines. Top speed is 24 knots with a fuel burn of 21GPH, per engine. At 1800 RPM cruise speed is 20 knots with a fuel burn of 10.5 GPH, per engine - very economical for a 62 foot aluminium catamaran.

This post edited by bloodnguts 08:34 PM 01/18/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Learning2Tog wrote:
Do I need to know the secret handshake to understand what you 2 are talking about?
Cause I'm lost over here.

I thought it was just me. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

·
Administrator
112,305 Posts
ckonkol wrote:
Learning2Tog wrote:
Do I need to know the secret handshake to understand what you 2 are talking about?
Cause I'm lost over here.

I thought it was just me. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

that makes 3 of us

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I'm surprised he's spending such money on a boat given that partyboats are leaving the industry. I guess at least it seems fuel efficient but even those numbers I have my doubts on. Anyone.....21 GPH total at 20 knots ?

Agreed, I looked at those pictures on the shipyard website and I think the boat is beautiful.

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
That's outstanding fuel economy for that vessel at that speed, and he can probably make the mid-teens at half that consumption.

I would say that the vessel will fill/target a unique niche, as it was built to unusual specks for the service normally seen in the area.

Paul

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
They look nice but of all the Aluminum boats that I have had the fortune of being on, the Geo Marine beat me up the worst, I went to an Oil Spill at my old job after Katrina and I jumped on this Geo marine and went from Port Arthur Coker Company IN Texas to the SEA-COR dock in Morgan City La. and had my A$$ handed to me with 3-5's worth of a left over quartering head sea. This was on a MONO HULLED VESSEL but the bow was SO light. the 143 mile ride took 17 hours in 3-5's, I cant speak for the cats but the mono hull blew. Here she is in all of her teeth rattling glory HOLLY L

·
Premium Member
6,923 Posts
38 ton by weight. My 65 footer's fasteners weigh more than that. The cat should fair much better in anything except right on the bow or right on the stern. On a quarter or beam sea, the seaward hull's pitch or roll will be extremely dampened by the leeward hull's buoyancy.

Paul

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
No doubt Paul Cats are nice in a beam, just look at the Larson boat. You had a Pic of that thing in an add in the wheelhouse of the Queen remember? I have seen that thing in some nasty type sea before when I was tunerin' on the Starship, we were drifting way the **** off the edge in like 1000+ fathoms and the Norwest came a tootin' round about 0100, by sun up it was gale-ish and she ( the Miss Barnegat Light) sat like a duck drifting in the beam.

·
Registered
42 Posts
www.nicedaytoo.com
Don't know when we will start running. Just making a few exploratory trips. Figuring out how to use the boat efficiently. We will start running trips in march for the weekend trips. I was surprised there were any posts about the boat. thanks for being interested.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.