NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if some of the you guys might want to meet at Rye playland for some fishing, I could also maybe help out some of the newbies, and if anybody was interested I would bring a kayak or 2 extra for guys to test out. I really dont know the area that well and I not sure its time for the fish to be there but its a well known striper spot. I was thining about saturday.

·
Registered
83 Posts
next weekend

i'm up for it. i've fished from the shore there. have a canoe but understand that a kayak is better. . someone from the sebago canoe club said that you were going to be at the scc but i forgot the date. rye is much closer for me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi Joey!

I am interested on trying both sit on top and sit inside tanden kayaks. Let me know the details. I sent you an email through your store site. I am shopping for a kayak but don't know much about.

Helio

·
Registered
35 Posts
Regarding Next Weekend...

For those of you who may not know this, Eastern Mountain Sports is hosting a Kayak demo and testing day at Lake Ronkonkoma in Suffolk County.
The last demo day I attended, was in Amityville at The Dingy Shop, and they had at least a dozen Kayaks there for demo on the creek.
Anyone interested in trying the various styles sit in, sit on might consider attending one of these demo days.
Eastern Mountain can be reached at 516 747-7360

·
Registered
315 Posts
Definitely hit any demo days that you can. This is invaluable. It affords you the opportunity to try lots of kayaks. My only word of caution is don't buy a kayak based upon this if it isn't a kayak that lots of guys are fishing out of. You can always get some advice/opinions and then purchase it. Too many guys get excited and buy a mistake. Mistakes can be expensive. Joey and I sell kayaks but we really don't care where someone buys their kayak. We're the best choice, but we want you in a proper fishing kayak. We're going to get you on the accessories anyway (lol). Seriously we want to get people fishing properly and safely. Hooking a 20# striper and getting dragged into some nasty rip isn't the time to figure out that you made the wrong choice because the advice you got from the salesman never considered many situations that a fisherman experiences.

Helio, you are one of the guys who I replied to and the mail kept coming back. I tried.

As to Tandem kayaks we don't have any demos. They aren't the best fishing kayaks as they are a major compromise. We can get them but we don't have the demos and don't anticipate having them. Our business is kayak fishing and its much better and safer when there is only one person in the kayak. If you want a tandem seriously consider 2 kayaks. You will spend the majority of your time fishing alone and its like having having a huge truck to drive in the city. You'd rather have the car. If you are buying a kayak for fishing and you're a serious fisherman you're going to want a single. If you insist on getting a tandem the Ocean Kayak Malibu 2 is a good choice. It actually has 3 seating positions so you'll be ok paddling alone.

·
Registered
83 Posts
nest weekend

i would prefer saturday but if it's sunday what time would you be there.
i also have a 14' we-no-nah fisherman,
39" wide, 36lbs very stable which i use for fresh water. wondered how it would be in sheltered saltwater coves like around glenn island, city island and jamaica bay?? undertand that it's not good for open saltwater.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Lets do it this saturday! If the weather looks bad for saturday lets do it sunday, I figure like 10:00am, this time of year I dont feel the crack of dawn thing helps the fishing that much. So lets try to get a head count.

·
Registered
83 Posts
rye playland

bohack1 - caught one small snapper blue
last year in water on the other side of lake on a flyrod and that's what got me hooked on the salt. however that was the first and last fish i ever caught there. fished the rock jetty once.
where do you fish there?

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey bohack....Rye is a new area to me, I know its a great bass spot, it has to be witll that structure around it. It will be exploring day for me but thats how you find new places to play. You think you can make it?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yonkers
When I fish from shore I work the whole area from the bridge all the way to the end of Edith Reed point Usually locate pods of schoolies to play with.
Also the pond itself holds some pretty decent stripers, I work a sand eel or small glass minnow pattern when conditions are right. At times the bridge gets really crowded and ugly.
On the jetty not the pier there are usually always fish on the outgoing.
Look for small submerged island on north side of jetty.
From the kayak there are many spots too many to list but my favorite area would be in front of Rye Beach to Milton Point which is to the south of Playland lots of structure and fast moving water.

Joey
I've got kid soccer duty on Sat.until around 11. The park is now officially open on weekends so there is a parking fee around $7. they also will not allow you to drive to the kayak launch area which s*cks. Parking lot to launch area is about 300 yds. Bring your wheels. Have fun there is lots to explore.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.