NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my boat is an 18'starcraft alluminum cc.It has had some minor repairs to dents, seams ,dings etc. all on the bottom. What type of paint and filler or epoxy works best so I can make the bottom look nicer and not have to worry about to much water coming through

I'm over here now

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
bobocraft,

My first boat was a leaky 16' starcraft. Forget about any epoxy repairs. I tried most of them and they work for a short time (sometimes longer)but eventually, due to the constant movement of the alluminum, the repair seperates from the metal.

I found the best solutions is either welding the leak (tricky due to the thin gauge) or mechanically (replacing rivets) closing the hole. If you tap on a rivet, and it moves it needs to be reset or replaced. This is probably the cause of some of the leaks. Put a dab of silicon cement on each rivet before you replace or reset it as a gasket.

What I would do is when the leaks were getting out of hand is rip the deck up and on a dark night shine a light in the boat toward the deck. the light leaks will show.

Good luck,

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.