NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else notice lately that the Friday Fishing Report in Newsday sounds much like they just read the current issue of the NorEast magazine and wrote their reports based upon what the Noreast reported??

The Noreast should have some fun and toy with Newsday one week. Maybe you can publish an innocent misprint like "skipjack tuna under the Robert Moses Bridge" and see if Newsday is dumb enough to report it. Then you can retract it the following week.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Whatday?

I wouldn't use Newsday to line my kitty liter box (if I had one). Even worse than their lack of fishing related articles while being based in one of the northern hemisphere's hot beds of fishing, are their slanted, biased, bought and paid for, political views and positions. After twenty years of wondering why I ever got it in the first place, I cancelled my subscription 6 months ago. Let's see if they print this in their reports.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Fishing reports

It amazes me that they try to recap the whole region in a few column/inches. Do they really think saying things like "catching mackerel, flounder, blacks and cod at Montauk" really helps??? They do that for the bight, south shore, north shore etc... Why bother... I wonder how much these guys get paid for regurgitating the same lack of info once or twice every week. It is not only Newsday, same thing in the News and Post.

·
Banned
3,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pisses me off!

Yeah, but sometimes they are TOO specific and make the fishing sound even better than it really is.

For instance, they read in the Noreaster that flounder action is good at the Sore Thumb. They reas that one person caught some nice keepers in nine feet of water. Then they publish something like

"FLOUNDER ARE BEING CAUGHT IN GREAT NUMBERS AT THE THUMB. FISH IN EIGHT TO TEN FEET OF WATER IF YOU WANT TO FIND THEM"

The very next morning, that fishing spot is ruined because dozens of boats follow the report exactly as it is written.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I've worked on party boats for much of the 80's and it was my job to give reports to the media. I always tried to be honest, but like everyone else in the business, I always put a positive spin on the reports, i.e., "things should pick up when the water temps increase... or decrease..." etc. Our friends who fish for a living are in a tough business for sure. Read the reports for basic info but do your own research. The good people who contribute to these forums have no reason to be dishonest. Listen to your peers and enjoy every minute on the water.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Fishing Reports in Print

Over the years the results of 2 or 3 of my fishing trips made it into one of the local fishing reports via a captains report or some such. In all cases the printed reports while technically correct (ie caught a number of keeper sized fish) gave a greatly distorted impression of how the fishing really was.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.