NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting a Newell 229 for inshore blackfishing starting in about two weeks. I gish the Celtic Wreck area in Conneticut and wanted to know what you all thought about the gear ratio choice - 3.6 or 5 to 1? Would appreciate all the help you can give, thanks in advance and tight lines.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello Fencer04,
If you are predominately targeting blackfish… I recommend that you use the 5 to 1 ratio reels.

FYI, there is a tradeoff between speed and power! For example - the low gear ratio (3.6) is designed to power the big fish from the deep… But unfortunately the tradeoff is speed.

However, since you are planning to blackfish from the Conneticut wrecks… the Newell 229 will suffice because it's 5.1 ratio is powerful enough to hoist the beast from it's domain!

But if you start thinking about codzilla deepwater wrecks… I would unquestionably get the lower gear ratio / bigger reel (winch like). Hence - sacrificing speed for pure torch power! :)

Tight Lines!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
321 Posts
My friends and I have been blackfishing for over 10 years and we all use Newell's but not the new ones. We all have the rare old ones which are indestructable. I personally have 2 332M and 2 229M my friends all have the P332F which I saw one go on Ebay last week for over $225.00. These reels are great for bottom fishing. With the M model it is a 3.6-1 ratio and I have never had a problem getting a 10 pound blackfish out of the structure. My friends with the P332F have the higher ratio. Either way you go I think you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
TRADEnFISH wrote:
… We all have the rare old ones which are indestructible. I personally have 2 332M and 2 229M my friends all have the P332F …

Hello TRADEnFISH,
That's an impressive Newell collection!

You are so right… the older models are far better made and it's indestructible! Carl W. Newell designed the reels with great precision and the internal gears were mostly stainless steal! Since he stepped down, the new management took over and the "quality" control went downhill "added plastic components" and lost it's popularity and some market share.

Take excellent care of your reels because it's a great piece of machinery and it's good as gold!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Fencer04 wrote:

Do you think that it is worth paying the extra $ for the older reels? I can get a 229 for $109 New In The Box.

Hi Fencer04,
It's just a matter of preference… but I think you still can't go wrong with the new reel and the price! It's still a good reel for blackfish! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.