NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
Great board, very informative.I just purchased a cobra explorer with the money I made from selling off my jon boat and I have a few questions.I'm a long time flyfisherman living near the south shore of nassau county.I do most of my fishing on the north shore though because I really love fishing the Nissequoge from sunken meadow.I know that there is a new kayak launch that opened at Norman Levy park in Merrick and I was wondering if anyone has tried it and also how it is for flyfishing.My other question is about the launch that opened at the new state park on the Nissequoge where the hospital used to be.Would also appreciate info on any good, well known launch spots(I'm not asking anyone to give up their secret honey hole!).I went through past boards and got some info but not on these questions specifically.Thanks in advance.
Regards,
Flypaint (Shawn)

· Registered
54 Posts
I don't think is going to be any trouble getting your cart on the kayak. I was observing Jon last saturday as he loaded his kayak in the cart and he did it with real ease. I was looking at the phisics behind loading your yak in the cart and it seems that as long as you can lift one end of the yak the cart will hold in position while you load it. Now, I am refering to the cart that Jon has which is the one with the black wheels and the metal frame. This is the one they sell for $139.00. The cart itself has a base that enables it to stand while you load your kayak into it.

· Registered
314 Posts
Loading the yak on the cart is easy. Just remove all the bunker first. Put the kayak on the cart and then load it.

Also about the cart that I was using at the demo day. We have coming in a very similar cart. The only difference is that it has one kickstand instead of two. Oh there's another difference, its going to retail for $95 instead of $139!

Attachments

· Registered
314 Posts
I just got them in today and they're all sold. Polo and Helio, you guys are included. Guess I better order some more. Anyone else need/want one. I fel that its the most versatile cart out there and for the money its a great deal. The cart will fit in most larger kayak hatches. All Cobra "A"s and rectangulars, the big OK and WS ones too, and the back area of a Pungo, etc.

· Registered
895 Posts
I FIGURED OUT WHY ITS HARD FOR ME...GETTING THE YAK ON THE WHEELS IS NOT TOO BAD, BUT I MOUNT MY FISH N DIVE TO THE CAR UPSIDE DOWN THEN USE STRAPS. ( I HAVE NO PAINT LEFT ON MY ROOF..**** FORDS) I FEEL IT HOLDS BETTER, SO BY GETTING THE YAK OFF THE WHEELS AND FLIPPING IT OVER IS A PAIN, BUT THAT COULD BE B/C IM OUT OF SHAPE AND MY FISH N DIVE IS AN AIRCRAFT CARRIER AND MUCH BIGGER AND HEAVIER THAN OTHER YAKS..THE FIRST 50LBS I LOSE BY YAKKING, IM TREATING MYSELF TO A YUM YUM YELLOW EXPLORER, OR IS IT TOURER...THE ONE THAT NEW2 HAS! :)

· Registered
314 Posts
Tourer

Magilla,

The Tourer will accomidate you even now but as a reward its a great idea. With all the fihing you plan on doing you're definately going to loose weight. Definately do a lot of trolling. Also Cobra list there kayaks without hatches so your FnD is probably 60#s which isnt' that heavy. Its the bulk of the thing that makes it hard to handle.

· Registered
117 Posts
Jon is right. My Tourer is a little difficult to handle. I have to be very careful swinging it around corners and stuff like that cause one time, I almost put out my kitchen window! Phew!!! If I did, that would be the last time I yakked.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.