NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
4,971 Posts
Let me be the first to welcome you to the People's Republic of New England. Hola.

Have you tried mapquest? Greenfield looks pretty land locked to me. I guess Gloucester (pronounced Glochestar) would be the nearest port. Still, that's quite a drive. You're closer to Alabany, NY.

· Registered
122 Posts
greenfeild is about a 2 hour drive south to ct. their is nice boats down here that fish for bass blues fluke and tog. the sunbeam is the one i would point you to. take 91 south to hartford than rt 2 south to rt 11 its a easy drive.

· Premium Member
67,033 Posts
Well, Obviously the first thing you have to do it get to the coast! :) There are party boats that fish for bottom fish (fluke, sea bass scup) and gamefish (blues & Striped bass) on both shores of LI and along the CT coast. If you go up to RI you can add codfish to the mix. You can also find boats that codfish in Eastern MA and NH.

· Registered
318 Posts
Gloucester is a good place to start with a trip to Stellwagon bank to get accustomed to all of the ground fish species. Just make sure you ask the mates for help and they will most likely get you going on the right direction.

When fishing out of Gloucester I prefer fishing with www.yankeecapts.com on one of the overnight trips to Cashes Ledge but this might not be the best place for a first trip. HB

· Registered
2,786 Posts
hairbone wrote:

When fishing out of Gloucester I prefer fishing with www.yankeecapts.com on one of the overnight trips to Cashes Ledge but this might not be the best place for a first trip. HB

Maybe not for an overnight trip, but their limited load day trips on the weekends are probably one of the best places to start. Capt. Greg and crew will provide you with great quality rental tackle and you'll be fishing on a comfortable platform with the room you need to get your feet wet.

There are also several other party boats that will go out of their way to show you the ropes. The most important thing to do is let the crew realize that you're a newbie and interested in learning the ropes. All of the sponsoring boats here have crews that will go out of their way for you.

Also check out the Nor'east charter forum. Many of these trips are on party boats with members who will be more than willing to lend you a helping hand. Best advice in that regard is to sign up quick!!! Welcome to the boards!!

This post edited by crabcake 02:44 PM 04/02/2008

· Registered
1,496 Posts
Looking at the map, I agree that Hampton, nh would be the closest ocean fishing with party boats. You try eastmans, or gaurons, as well as a couple of others. Most fisherman would consider it a short drive I think. Looks easy on the map. Good luck.

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all kindly and God bless you. While Greenfield may seem far to some, it's a whole world closer than Taylor, Nebraska. We chose Western Ma. to have the option of driving to the ocean but not getting clipped by the higher cost of living found at the coast.
The wife is excited to see Mystic, Ct. so I may look at fishing trips there in the next few weeks. Seems like a simple drive to get on Rt. 91 down to Interstate 95 up to the Groton area. I'm guessing that is a good area to explore for fishing boats for bluefish?
Thank you all once again.
Sam

· Registered
122 Posts
down in groton ct their is the helcat. they are fishing ground fish right now but later in the spring they will be switching over to blues. in the late prring and summer they run trips 7 days a week leaving dock at 9 am (banker's hours) then 10 mins south there is niantic/waterford. the sunbeam mijoy nad black hawlk sail from there. the black halk and mijoy fish blues and thats it with drails and bait. 7 days aweek. the sunbeam fishes bass abd blues on friday saterday and sunday a trip at 6am and 1pm. the sunbeam fishes dimond jigs and not bait for the blues wed and fri and sat nights they bass fish from 7 to 1230 pm. this trip is fishes with eels. mon. and wed. they fluke fish from 7am to 4pm. is the summer they add thrs. to the blues fishing. also they have a mid summer tuna & mihi trip. then in fall they run tuna trips all week plus the inshore fishing. in late oct. they start fishing black fish. ( hope that helps)

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you Fisherdad for the ct. information. I looked at the **** Cat web-site and found they are presently going for cod fish. That looks like a very nice big boat. I've never been to sea before and would like to go for the first time on the Queen Mary if I could. I will keep this in mind for when they start going for Bluefish. The hours look attractive as well, going fishing at 9:00 am is unheard of in the fresh water scene.
Also as luck would have it I will be in Concord,New Hampshire in 2 weeks on business and am going to stay over the week-end and try some fishing from there. I have looked at the web-sites recommended from posters and that Smith and Gilmoure looks like a laid back operation so I think I'll give it a try.
Any recommendations on tackle? I've trolled and jigged on lakes and I have a fairly stout boat rod with 25 pound test line, will this work on the ocean? What size hooks does one use and how heavy a jig? Will a salmon feather jig work?
Thanks,
Sam

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
first trip

My brother and I made our maiden voyage today from Hampton state pier on the northern Star. The coast here is very beautiful, it smells great, all salty and fresh, and despite a cold morning the day was clear and refreshing. We caught several haddock, some cod, (we must have thrown back a basket full of undersized ones) and a cusk. The trip was enjoyable, boat was BIG and fast, crew treated us great and showed us newbies the basics, and then they cleaned our fish on the ride home. What a deal for short money, we'll be going on a more frequent schedule. The fish is baking as I write and smells great so I can't wait to get to the dinner table. Thanks to all the helpful reply s to my post and thanks to the captain and crew from the Northern Star.
Sam

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.