NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up the new boat Thursday . Looking for any advice on general maintenance for a 2002 90 hp mercury outboard ; saltwater edition ? Last boat had an I/O and was serviced by the mariner. Plan on doing as much as possible this time to keep some of the cost down !Any suggestions or web sites much appreciated. Thanks Bob.

· Registered
16 Posts
Hey Diverdad,

Good choice on purchasing an outboard. The most important advice I can give you is to use GOOD OIL!!!! Use either Yamalube or Amzoil. Little more expensive but you will definitely increase the life of your motor. Also never run your motor without water even for a few seconds. It's suggested you change the water pump every three years. As far as yearly maintenance I could write a whole essay. Talk to your local outboard tech. Good luck with your new boat and motor.

· Registered
3,131 Posts
Break it in properly,decarb from time to time, &

They love to rev and be blown out. After break in dont be afraid to rev to motor into the high rpms even WOT for a few seconds from time to time.
Get a Racor gas/water seperator with the clear plastic bowl, empty water when you see some.
My opinion on flushing is different then most peoples I think but I think its not a good idea. It screws up waterpumps, overheats the engine @ times and I think the anti corrisive paints & alloys of today are so good that you'll put 5000 hrs. on it before its going to give you issues from not being flushed{ also it's a pain in the a**}
Mercs , OMC'c are good motors some of them seems you cant kill BUY as someone who's put many hours on Outboards next time buy a Yamaha as I have last motor & am blown away by its quality.
or a Honda 4 stroke. Suzuki pretty good too.
Change the water pump every 2 years or 125 hrs. or so, gear oil every 100 @ least. , grease the motor well, spline too so prop doesnt salt on.
Uce Seafoam, Ringfree of Carbon Guard in the gas every other tankfull.
Alan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.