NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sup fellow salty's, looking for a new spinning reel for my tiger stick. I need the reel for spectra spooling and will be using it for bunker snagging of course, strippers, jigging blues,etc. I like the quantum cabo, diawa b&g, maybe shimano, any comments on those reels. I only have one penn z series reel that can't be killed but looking to upgrade the reel because the gear ratio is to slow. I replaced it 2 years ago with a metal 8500 spinfisher but the reel was a pain. The 8500ss made noise from the day I had it and I lost a number of lures and poppers from premature bail flips. Snap the line and there $10.00 went many times. Any reel suggestions for the 30-40lb braid class, thanks capt.Jeff

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Well, of the three reels you mentioned as possibilities, the Daiwa Black Gold has the longest track record. From what I've been told its the reel of choice down in Fla for the pro guides to give to their customers to use. Not the smoothest cranker, but the one that has stood the test of time.

If you ask me, I'd look hard at one of the larger Shimano Spheros reels - I really think that the value for bux spent ratio on that one beats most other reels.

Now if you want to look around a bit, an old Penn SS650 would be a great choice. But you'd have to find one in good shape. Maybe on Flea-Bay? A very tough reel series, with aluminum bodies that pre-date the newer graphite bodies reels. I have used a Penn SS550 (with 30lb Berkeley Big Game) for the purposes you speak of for over 25 years - and wanna know something?

I have NEVER opened up that reel to clean it out or relube it. Never. Yet it just keeps on smoothly running, season after season. I do service the handle knob and bail pivot points with a drop or two of light oil every few trips - and did pack the inside with green marine trailer wheel bearing grease when I first got it - but that's it - that's all the maintenance its ever gotten.

Pretty impressive, no?

Lep

·
Registered
230 Posts
best reels for the money and smooth as silk and hard to break pfueger medalist i used them this year for plugging big bass and blues for 89.00 you cant go wrong i am buying two more 6070 reels for for snagging and plugging to go on my rogue 905s and 865s

·
Registered
91 Posts
if you are lookin to save a couple bucks look at the shimmano stradic ,I own a couple and they hold up great ,If you have money in your hand and want the best reel in my opinion buy yourself a stella ,I own three of them and love them so much I named my dog after it .I can not blow it up as hard as I try ,I have well over 3000 fish on the one reel and it is as good as the day I bought it .

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another spinning reel that I think is a hidden jewel is the Fin-Nor Offshore series, the OFS65 would probably be a good choice for what you are looking for. I have a couple of the OFS95 and I was using them to catch the schoolie bluefin on Stellwagon, The drag system on them is AWESOME! They range from $130-160 and well worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Team Diawa Advantage (TDA) lineup. The drags are super smooth and have a very fine adjustment so setting them is a breeze. The infinite anti-reverse eliminates the slap back of the older reels. The bails and roller are oversized which works great with the limp braids because they are not as apt to catch a loose coil of line. The gears and bearings are super smooth so spinning them is a dream. The longcast spool design and wrap pattern keeps the line from digging into the spool under load like the older more narrow spools tended to do. The only thing I don't like is the styling of the handle but I can live with that. These reels are my first choice when casting plugs or jigging bucktails/soft plastics. I am also a fan of the much older Black Gold series which for me are still kicking after 20 plus years with not much more than a few bail springs and the usual regreasing but they are a little more primitive than the newer reels and lack some of the more important refinements listed above. I hope my opinions help.
Brian

·
Registered
21 Posts
Cabo

I won a cabo last year at a gift auction and it performed great last year. We had some nice fish (bass blues and the like) on the reel and it was very smooth and nice drag system. As far as durability I'm not sure yet its only a year old.

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
CAPTJEFFHB wrote:
By the way does anybody have any experiences with the quantum cabo spinners? I have the cabo conventional and its great but never fished the spinner.
ipicked up a boca this lastseason and i beat the snot out o it and all i can say is it took it and still works great i look foward to using it in the spring

·
Registered
108 Posts
Reels I like:

Shimano: stradic$$,stella$$$,spheros$-- Silky smooth, nice feel,be careful in the sand! Spheros may be best bang for buck...

Penn: Slammers$$, ss-m's$-$$ -- Tanks, metal bodied, tend to be heavy, powerful drag

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
CAPTJEFFHB wrote:
By the way does anybody have any experiences with the quantum cabo spinners? I have the cabo conventional and its great but never fished the spinner.

I have a 30 on my 9'surf rod, and an 80 on Trevalla rod for jigging tuna that both have been great. Actually, the bail broke on the 30 after a little over a season, but I contacted the company and they replaced the whole reel for me. I bought the 80 after that and like I said, they have both been great. The 80 gets 26-lbs of drag and the 80-200 lb Trevalla combo was a very comfortable fight on the yellows jigging at night this past year. My girlfriend just bought me another 30 and 7'Trevalla for my birthday for plugging and casting eels for bass. Very strong, smooth reels, with a great warranty.

Chris

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.